Anyone put Toasters/Broilers in the Ric 620?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kiki_90291, May 2, 2014.

1. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

I've been rather uninspired lately by the tones coming out of my Ric 620 - i'm wondering if the Hi Gains are part of the problem and if going with something a little lower output might help. Has anyone tried Toasters or Lollar Broilers in a 620? They seem to be important for the 12-string/semi-hollow sound - I'm wondering if it will make that much of a difference in a 6 string, solid body.

Searched the Ric boards and was surprised to see no discussion of this . . .

2. SGNick

SGNick Member

The Rick boards are very conservative with their instruments, depending where you go it's very possible that the threads that brought it up were deleted.

What kind of amp are you playing through? I've got a 330/12 with hi gains playing through an AC15, and the cleans and overdriven sound are pure heaven for me.

3. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

I'm playing through a Mesa TA-15 through either a open back 2x10 with Celestion Golds or a 1x12 closed back with a V30. I can get very good Vox tones from it (compared it head on with my bandmate's AC-15).

What got me thinking was a Strat I recently pciked up - much lower output single coils and it just sounds so much better - more dynamic, more open . . .

I've played around with the pickup height quite a bit on the Ric with no significant change in tone - compared to the Strat, it just sounds kind of dull and lifeless. I've heard that the hi gains can be inconsistent and some are real dogs, so I'm wondering if I got a bad set. Since the Broilers/Toasters have much lower output (comparable, spec-wise to the set I have in my Strat) I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to try them out.

4. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

For me, a Rickenbacker doesn't have "that" sound without the toasters. I replaced the high gains in my 330 12 string with the toasters and it made all the difference. Pricey - but worth it.

5. 12-Bluesbrother

12-Bluesbrother Member

I replaced the High Gainers with Broilers. The High Gainers did sound good for Rock, the Broilers sounded clearer, tighter, more clearer with a peak in the upper mids. Most people prefer this sound.
    The Lollars are much better built. Rickenbacker would sell more guitars if they eqiup their guitars with toasters.
    The pickup swap made a huge differance!

6. richey88

richey88 Member

The TA's are fine amps indeed. Not a fan of Hi-Gain pickups, should you find a set and install them, would love to see a report, sounds like a great idea.

7. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

For you guys who replaced the higains - did you leave the wiring as is? I am also beginning to question how much the blend knob winds up sucking tone. I'd think about just pulling it out of the circuit altogether . . .

8. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

I put Broilers in my 360/12 and they are definitely part of that magic Ric sound.

9. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

While I agree about the sound of the toasters, I don't think Rickenbacker will do anything different to sell more guitars. They sell every guitar they make, and there is a wait-list.

10. 12-Bluesbrother

12-Bluesbrother Member

Yes I've been through the wiring thing. Because one pot was bad. Replaced pots with 500k pots, little differance, more dynamic. PIO things, better tone control, or just a tiny bit differant.
    If you can do this by yourself, try it. But it is not worth paying big bucks on this. I would leave it as it is, with the blend knob, wich is nice.
    The guitar will always sound warm - you can not turn it into a biting treble monster like a Tele.
    The Pickup swap will force the chime and shine of the Rick.
    If you would like a even clearer, defined sound replace the bridge with a mastery bridge. The high E string is louder now, and the lower strings have more snap. But the harmonic structure changed.
    Perfect for a Rick is the JB3 compressor. Got one last week.
    The Amp matters alot! Try a Vox, or use one of these Vox sound alike pedals. Or try a tweed Amp. A Deluxe does not work for me with Rick. If you prefer a BF or SF try one with big mids.
    Rickenbacker with Toasters (or Lollars) into Vox - man, this will sound great!

11. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

The TA-15 has a very good Vox channel. What's making me want to switch out the pickups is how much better my other guitars sound through that channel - the Strat sounds great and I have a LP JR. with P-90s that gets a much better chime than the Ric.

I have a Diamond compressor that actually does a pretty good job of getting the highs to pop a little more on the Ric. It seems like a compressor is almost required . . .

I've thought a little about a mastery bridge but haven't found many reviews on the Ric version. How does it change the harmonic structure? I wish Mastery would post a "before and after" demo of the bridge on a Ric.

12. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

If i had the guitar I'd set it up like Fred Smith's 450- two paf-ish humbuckers.

13. jubal81

jubal81 Member

Came upon this thread because I'm also about to pull the trigger on a broiler set for my 620.

I got the Mastery bridge last year and I don't regret it at all. There was a very noticeable jump in clarity and resonance - not to mention I haven't had a hint of rattle since, which was my main motivation for buying it.

I love my 620 and it's my 'forever' guitar, but the rattling bridge, microphonic Hi-Gain pickups and tiny, soft frets are the big shortcomings - none easy or inexpensive to fix.

14. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

You should do some before and after recordings with the hi-gains and broilers - I'd love to hear a comparison between the two on a 620.

15. jubal81

jubal81 Member

That's a good idea. I'll have to remember to do that. I haven't ordered the pickups yet. I'm waiting for a pedal to sell to help me rationalize paying for them.