Anyone read 'Guitar Zero' yet?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AaeCee, Feb 13, 2012.

1. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Intriguing. Sounds like there's still hope for late starters like myself.

2. Forgotten

Forgotten Member

I haven't read the book, but I believe there is hope for anyone who wants to learn and is willing to put in the work. It doesn't have anything to do with age. What it comes down to is find a good mentor/teacher, and practice, practice, practice. You can't be afraid to shop around for a teacher either, find your best match. I've never believed you had to be born a musician to play an instrument, or born an artist to become a painter. It comes easier for some, but put in the work and it's well worth it in the end. Just my general opinion on the matter.

Is there anywhere I can hear the author play?

3. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

I graduated from art college and there were a couple of old ladies (probably in their 80's) that wanted to learn how to paint. They went from drawing things at the level of a child to actually being pretty good. I think that people can do things like that if they have a passion. It's a bonus if they are naturally creative though.

4. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

From Amazon reviews:

"I've never written a review w/o reading the book, but I just heard this dude play guitar on the radio and he sucks! Just need to put that right out front. Did he learn to play a few notes? I guess. An interesting book would be someone who started learning late in life and was actually good."

:rotflmao

5. Akira Flux

Akira Flux Member

I am about half way through it (listening to it, actually, as an audiobook), and it is pretty good. He adopts the style Tim Brookes used in Guitar: An American Life in that he interweaves the narrative of his trying to learn to play during a sabbatical year from teaching with discussions of the nature of learning, and uses nice examples and anecdotes so that it never feels too technical.

6. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I thought the Tim Brookes book was a great read, so I'll probably give this one a shot as well. BTW, Tim is a member here and a very nice guy as well.

7. Forgotten

Forgotten Member

Exactly why I asked if there was anywhere I could hear the author play.

8. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

I heard him on the radio, and I have to applaud the effort and the enthusiasm but its true he really wasn't very good . . . but really, that's beside the point, right next to it but not the point - I am pretty mediocre, stopped playing for about 15 years after about 4 years of semi serious play and now have little time to perfect what I have, numerous other demanding commitments but I sure as hell love it anyway.

9. axiology

axiology Member

Bought it, read it....
    Interesting to see the perspective of a new player. I've been a player for about 40 years without interruption, learning guitar/music has been a natural, relatively easy process (still ongoing), compared to the authors experience.
    More of interest to me, was that the author is a psychologist, delving into to the science of the learning process,origins of music, and nature of the human mind that makes it possible.

10. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

I started reading it last night. I'm several chapters in, and I'm finding it fairly interesting. As has been mentioned, he weaves the story about him learning in with the science of learning, which helps make the scientific part of the book a little more accessible and enjoyable.

11. DakotaRed

DakotaRed Member

I read half of it at Barnes & Noble one day. Interesting reading. When he started, I think the guy might have been the most musically challenged person ever, so if he can play even a little bit now, he's made huge progress...