Anyone regret playing guitar instead of something else?

cantstoplt021

Every once in awhile I go through short stints of wishing I had started on something like piano instead of guitar a few years ago. These spells don't last long, but they happen every once in awhile. I do love guitar, but sometimes I wish I was more of a drummer or pianist although I do play and practice those both daily. Any of you regret playing guitar? If so why?

gigs

I'm a decent drummer. I wish I was a really good drummer. Cuz when I'm campin or fishin with family and friends, they would'nt ask me to entertain them and play some drums around the campfire.

Astronaut FX

Gold Supporting Member
Not really. Nothing preventing you from learning another instrument. I've been hacking my way across the keys of pianos and synths for years.

Oh, and fair warning, TGP is a no shorts allowed zone. Not sure if that applies to "short stints of thinking," but consider yourself warned. :p

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
I dearly regret not taking piano lessons in addition to guitar lessons like my parents wanted me to do. Piano wasn't "cool" at the time (I was 9).
Agreed.

Everyone else got piano lessons, I sure wish I had.

My wife is classically trained on piano.

mdrake34

Agreed.

Everyone else got piano lessons, I sure wish I had.

My wife is classically trained on piano.
I don't even want to be able to play Beetoven, I'd just like the natural understanding of theory that comes with learning the piano, and to be able to accompany myself.

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
Theory I've got. It is read both clefs and knowing where to put my fingers that has me snookered.

On the flip side, Mrs. D can't play a thing unless she has the music in front of her. I play off the page all the time.

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
I wish my parents had forced me to take piano lessons, but they didn't. I've tried to teach myself a few times with no real success.

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
I wish my parents had forced me to take piano lessons, but they didn't. I've tried to teach myself a few times with no real success.

Steve Hotra

Gold Supporting Member
Glad that guitar is my main instrument.
Wish I would have picked up drums at the same time .. started playing in 1969.

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
My first instrument was actually drums, and I'm still pretty evenly split between drums and guitar. But I always wish I would have learned piano as my first instrument. I dabble in it, but I really wish I could play it well.

M

Member 995

As a kid I watched a lot of country music shows on TV with my dad. I was always more interested in the pedal steel than the guitar. Life might have been very different if I had gone down that path!

PaleRider

I wish I had learned to play saxophone. I love the sound of a sax in rock or pop/rock songs. You Belong to the City by Glenn Frey or many selections from John Cafferty. Those songs are just plain good and the sax really compliments the other instruments.

KRosser

I always wanted to play any tuned mallet percussion - vibes, marimba, etc.

Or cello...

I suppose "it's never too late", but had I done either instead of guitar with equal fervor way back when, I wonder...

stringgz301

Silver Supporting Member
I learned piano starting at 7 years of age until I started college. 95% classical music. It was good musical training but I never really bonded with the piano.

I picked up the guitar in my 30's and haven't looked back. I find it is better suited to exploration and discovery. It is also more voice-like with the ability to bend and create vibrato. It is also less black and white than the piano because there are multiple ways to play the same note.

thelatrobe33

I played piano for 6 years before I ever picked up a guitar. I wish I had stuck with it. I can't play much of anything on a piano anymore, although I bet it would come back quickly.

Trending Topics