• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

anyone remember those cheap bent metal strat trem "blocks"?

stratoskier

Well, I need one...

Back in the 80s I remember that some cheap import strat copies came with uber-crap trems that didn't even have a real solid metal trem block. Instead they used bent metal pieces, shaped sort of like a shallow U-beam, with holes for screwing them into the trem base and (on the other end) for hooking the springs. I had one of those pieces laying around here for years, but must have finally thrown it out. Now I'm assembling an ultra light travel guitar where every ounce counts and I'd like to substitute one of those bent metal blocks for the real block on a 6-screw trem.

This is a long shot but does anyone have one of these things? If not, I'll just have to fabricate something.

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
I don't remember them fondly. They were seriously janky. They would bend and deform under tension to the point where they wouldn't stay in tune even blocked. Fabricate something or go to a hardtail. That being said- P.M. sent.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
+1, utterly lousy and unreliable.

go hardtail; also, aluminum blocks are a thing these days.

SamBooka

I was thinking about this last night.. my very first guitar had one (mid 80s)... I broke the joint where the bar socket met the top of the plate. Horrible design.

But what if you got an aluminum block and had it thinned or milled out.. weigh relieved..

I get that you want the minimum weight but even if it is not structurally sound?

stratoskier

Yes, once I test out the bent metal pseudo-block, I might decide to go hardtail or aluminum block. I already have the body and it is routed for a vintage trem so if I want a hardtail, I'll have to fill the top of the trem cavity.

This whole thing is an experiment, but here's the best part -- the body is a whopping 1.9 lbs and I still have some wood to remove. The fun part will be when I string it up and stand back to see if it flies apart under tension.

Trending Topics