• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Anyone remembers Taku Sakashta?

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
Taku was a great designer and a great builder, and he was starting to wind some excellent pickups too, before his senseless murder in 2010.

And he was a really cool cat too - friendly, polite, engaging - mostly he was interested in doing the best work he possibly could. I still feel for his wife and family - such a senseless loss.

Thanks, Dana O.

mwhy

Silver Supporting Member
Of course I remember him! I was talking with him regarding the rounded archtops @pattste posted above, a couple months before his death. So sad ...

[FWIW, at the time I lived in Southern California, and he was up north; he told me, "If you ever need someone to work on your guitars, or if you want to buy a wonderful instrument, call my friend in LA - Toru Nittono -- he is the best!"]

splatt

david torn / splattercell
i knew about Taku for a while, but didn’t really know anything until my friend craig lent me this for a while:

then, i played craig’s noupaul:
i found both guitars to be..... unbelievable.

guitarpkr67

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve always loved this guitar. Are there more of these out there or was this a one-off type thing?

i knew about Taku for a while, but didn’t really know anything until my friend craig lent me this for a while:

then, i played craig’s noupaul:
i found both guitars to be..... unbelievable.

Gilky

I'll just be honest, when I first heard about him I thought he was kind of like the 'flavor of the month' as far as new builders go. But, over time, his designs have really grown on me and stood up to the test of time. When I look at his work now, it is jaw dropping how good and refreshingly creative it is. To just imagine what he would have done!

splatt

david torn / splattercell
I’ve always loved this guitar. Are there more of these out there or was this a one-off type thing?
i don't think there are very many; i'd guess there may be some in Japan, too.
maybe it might be under 10?

i do think craig snyder would know; i'll give him a ring.

WebberLai

Just share my friend's information , he is a big fan of Robben Ford and Taku Sakashta
he say : Jersey girl guitar was Taku Sakashta's student
And I check that brand , it does have his own style and TS's flavor

The 3rd generation was Kanji Kawabata , he is Jersey girl 's student also my friend
They all build great guitars

and another tea about Two Rock build an amp call TS1
it says Tone Secret , but actually a memorial to Taku Sakashta

kingsleyd

Frikkin genyus
and another tea about Two Rock build an amp call TS1
it says Tone Secret , but actually a memorial to Taku Sakashta
Taku's wife has worked at Two-Rock for quite a long time. The connection there runs deep.

Oh, and I recently purchased a Jersey Girl Audrey model from Craig Snyder, the one named "Seneca." Which is funny and kinda cool as I live near and spend quite a bit of time in a place called Seneca Park. I can definitely see, feel, and hear the connection to Taku and his work.

scmavl

Enjoyer
Gold Supporting Member
Anyone know how many guitars he built in total? There is currently one of his 335 style guitars offered for $75k. I remember years ago when I thought someone asking $10k for a NouPaul was wild.

Surfreak

Taku was a great designer and a great builder, and he was starting to wind some excellent pickups too, before his senseless murder in 2010.

And he was a really cool cat too - friendly, polite, engaging - mostly he was interested in doing the best work he possibly could. I still feel for his wife and family - such a senseless loss.

Thanks, Dana O.
He was truly one of the best. Innovative but mindful of the great guitar making lessons of the past.

On an unrelated note, for some reason I think you have the perfect name for a guitar maker! Don't know, Dana Olsen Guitars just sounds so right to me. Are you?

Trending Topics