Anyone remove the Treble Bleed Mod from their PRS?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 89strat, Aug 17, 2019.

1. 89strat

89strat Member

I have a PRS CE-22. I believe it's a 2005, though not sure how to date it. Anyway, one volume, one tone with push-pull and three-way switch. I mainly play a strat and a les paul, and use my volume control a lot. I generally like how the gain and treble cut down a little when I turn my volume down a bit. My PRS, and from what I understand, most PRS' have a cap across the two lugs of the volume pot to retain the treble as you lower the volume, which I think has a perceived thinness to the sound. Has anyone removed the treble bleed thing?

2. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Just de-solder one of the caps legs and see how you like it. Personally I remove treble bleeds, hate how they sound.

3. ferrinbonn

ferrinbonn Member

sedawkgrep likes this.
  4. dazco

dazco Member

I had a PRS SE and heck no ! I not only didn't remove it, i put a BIGGER value in it to get MORE brightness. That guitar was total mud when rolled down without it.

5. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

The treble bleed on my CE22 is fine, but the one on my SE didn't sound good, so I put an Emerson on it and now it's much better. I frankly don't understand wanting the tone to change when turning down the volume...

6. mleffler

mleffler Member

Consider disabling the treble bleed but change to '50s style wiring. I've found that to be a happy medium on my LP & SG.

7. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

It has worked well for the type of music that I play. I have add the circuitry to other guitars. Like Blix said, try lifting one side, to see if you like it.

8. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

It’s not a treble bleed “mod” if that’s how it left the factory.

orourke, 70 Mach 1 and Betos like this.
  9. zwiefldraader

zwiefldraader Member

Ever thought of going to a 50s style wiring, like they had in the early Les Pauls.
    I perfer this over treble bleeds, although the side-effect of interaction between volume and tone pot shifts mids...

10. Kelly

Kelly Member

Removed mine, and the awful dragon ii pickups.

11. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Don't do 'the 50s mod' unless you always run with your tone knob dimed. Otherwise when you turn the tone down it drops your volume too. There is a reason it got left behind. But if you don't use tone then it's ok.

As for the Treble Bleed, you may want a different version such as the Duncan or Kinman styles that pair a resistor with a different cap.

For now, just use a diagonal cutter to snip one leg of the cap off as close to the solder lug as you can and bend the cap away so it doesn't touch, then if you find you like it worse without the cap you can heat the lug and push the trimmed leg into the lug solder and be running easy again.

12. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

ferrinbonn likes this.
  13. socalscott

socalscott Member

My SE Soapbar ll with a de-wound N pup(7k+), gets the Strat eq below 3. What I like, is rolling up into more and more mids.

Now a bass-cut circuit is something of a revelation for me these days. Lots happening to alter pup and amp voicings. Not as much need for a perfect pup.

14. 89strat

89strat Member

I have the 50's wiring on my les paul, and love it. I never considered doing it on my prs. I'm going to look into that.

15. kselbee

kselbee Supporting Member

I was just thinking I’d like a treble bleed on my PRS like my USA Fender HSS Strat has. Didn’t know PRS had treble bleeds already as I think they get fairly dark when rolling the volume down (unlike my Strat). Can’t imagine how dark it’d get without that.

16. 89strat

89strat Member

You might not have it your prs. I think mcartys don't have it, and some others. I had the treble bleed on my hss strat and preferred the strat without it. The older strats didn't have them either. With my strat volume from 7-8 I get a nice warm rhythm, or bluesy tone, then turn up for leads. I find that with the prs, the treble stays as I turn down the volume, but i lose some fullness and warmth. I do tend to use my volume for rythm and leads a lot when playing.

I also learned that the wiring in mine is different than more modern prs. I e- mailed prs and they responded that paul felt the newer wiring sounded better. Diagram could be found on their website. I'm going to try that also.

17. 89strat

89strat Member

I tried removing one of the legs of the treble bleed, it was a little dark. However, I noticed that the capacitor from the tone to the volume pot is .033. The diagrams on the web-site show a .022 which is typical of humbuckers (at least in my les paul). .033 caps seem to be more the norm in PRS, I'm assuming to tame down the treble bleed? So I'm thinking of the changing the cap to a .022 and removing the treble bleed. Does this make sense?

18. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

no, but I have guitars with and without, it's part of their individual DNA, and part of the reasons why I pickup one or another.
    in general, I feel 4 knob guitars w. 50s wiring do better without (as the entire process of dialing in your tone is different), with all others I usually like a bleed, and I'm not too geeky about the exact type or values.
    ymmv,
    Rhino.

19. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

do one mod at a time, or you won't end up much wiser. :dunno
    you could also temporarily wire up a "flying toggle" for testing.
    just saying,
    Rhino