Anyone replace the neck on a tyler variax?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by hanales, Feb 7, 2012.

1. hanales

hanales Member

Hey all,

Im thinking of picking one up, but I have a severe problem with rosewood, so I was thinking of replacing the neck on a 69. Anyone tried this with any results? I can't really afford an actual tyler custom at this time so I was going to pick something up off of warmoth (or if I'm feeling frisky I'll see what moses can do).

2. sheguitarplayer

sheguitarplayer Member

I was thinking the same as I just hate the look of that headstock. Vain or what?

3. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

In a sea of Strat, Tele, Suhr and Jackson style headsocks... I think the JTV headstock is a refreshing look and suits the body nicely.

Don't know if the JTV neck pocket is strat compatible or not. If not, there are lots of luthiers that would be happy to make a one off compatible neck to spec for not much more than a Warmoth neck would cost. You'd probably need to send them your JTV neck and be without it for a few weeks.

4. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

WTF have you guys not seen the variax guitars? It's not the standard James Tyler headstock.

That said there was another thread here that discussed the neck pockets in pretty good detail. I'll see if I can find it.

5. bigtone82

bigtone82 Member

I've read stuff on the line 6 website and people have successfully replaced the necks with warmoth and stewmac necks on the line 6 forums.

6. psych

psych Member

I replaced the neck on my variax 300 with a carvin neck. It required some routing to install but it made all the difference. With graphtech pickups it now feels like a great reliable guitar.

7. tonyhay

tonyhay Supporting Member

Not the standard James Tyler, but it's still a big slightly odd-looking spade thing. It's understandable that the aesthetics might not have universal appeal.

Might also be to do with the feel of the neck. I haven't played the 69, but the 59 neck is ok, but pretty big. Neck feel is all subjective though of course.