Anyone replace their rig with Positive Grid's Bias Amp?

Johnny21

Anyone have a real rig (amp, cab, pedals) and replaced it with Positive Grid's Bias Head and Bias's distortion?

The Bias Amp and Pedal is still relatively new, and I'm just wondering if anyone took that complete plunge where it replaced their real tube amp/pedals to go digital and how they like it?

Last edited:

mikah912

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, I still struggle to see who'd rock one of these other than a Positive Grid endorsee.

Why spend all of that time to market Bias FX as a comprehensive amp/pedal/FX solution, then strip it back to just the amp when doing hardware....but at a "top tier" price point?

It's not like their "amp match" (i.e. EQ match) technology has been proven across a range of tones to be A) A dead-on recreation of the matched amp or B) Equal or superior to Kemper's profiling technology. Much like the ISP Theta Pro, this seems like a $600-$700 product masquerading as a $1300 AX8, Helix or used Kemper competitor.

GuitarGuru83

I agree with you, I love Bias's product and was originally very excited for the Bias Head...then I found out it had no effects, and cost as much as a Helix or AX8 and I soured on the whole thing
If it was Bias FX in a floorboard or rack unit with the ability to load IR's, id have scooped it up in a second
Instead I grabbed a Amplifire and couldnt be happier (though im tempted to try something else out)

BrownNote71

Silver Supporting Member
I don't see that the Helix, AX8, or Amplifire rocking an 850W integrated power supply. None of those products enable you to plug into a guitar cab straight-away. The high-quality power supply modules seem to add ~$450 to the price of a unit (based on other products that use an ICEPower PS). A powered Kemper is $1100 more than the Bias Head.

CreamTele2

I don't see that the Helix, AX8, or Amplifire rocking an 850W integrated power supply. None of those products enable you to plug into a guitar cab straight-away. The high-quality power supply modules seem to add ~$450 to the price of a unit (based on other products that use an ICEPower PS). A powered Kemper is $1100 more than the Bias Head.
All of those devices have top-notch onboard effects. By your logic: To get those effects with the Bias Head, you would need to add ~$1000 to the price of the Bias Head.

BrownNote71

Silver Supporting Member
All of those devices have top-notch onboard effects. By your logic: To get those effects with the Bias Head, you would need to add ~$1000 to the price of the Bias Head.
It's a guitar amp modeler, not an effects modeler. It's a replacement for your amp head, not your pedalboard. You can add whatever effects you want - not sure that how that's bad logic.

And there are years of threads here filled with people saying the Amplifire and Kemper effects are NOT top-notch.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
It's a guitar amp modeler, not an effects modeler. It's a replacement for your amp head, not your pedalboard. You can add whatever effects you want - not sure that how that's bad logic.

And there are years of threads here filled with people saying the Amplifire and Kemper effects are NOT top-notch.
So you're saying you own a Bias head? :hide

BrownNote71

Silver Supporting Member
I own Ax8, Amplifire, Helix, and have a Bias Head on the way to try. I've owned a few Kempers over the years.

Johnny21

I love the Bias App on my iPad, but I really can't see myself paying $1300 for what is essentially an physical interface to control that software.

Maybe I'm a bit old school but for $1300, there are tons of GREAT sounding tube amps you can get (as well as digital modelers--helix, AxeFx, etc). Price is somewhat not a good starting point IMO.

Just wondering if anyone actually bought a Bias Amp/pedal, and have gone digital without looking back.

BrownNote71

Silver Supporting Member
I love the Bias App on my iPad, but I really can't see myself paying $1300 for what is essentially an physical interface to control that software.

Maybe I'm a bit old school but for $1300, there are tons of GREAT sounding tube amps you can get (as well as digital modelers--helix, AxeFx, etc). Price is somewhat not a good starting point IMO.

Just wondering if anyone actually bought a Bias Amp/pedal, and have gone digital without looking back.

Well, for the $1300 you get a high-quality power amp, dedicated DSP, undetectable latency, and very high quality IO connections and converters. That's much more than just a physical interface to an iPad.

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
I really like the Bias software and really considered getting the full desktop plugin. The iPad version is easy to use and there's a great variety of stuff in there, but it didn't sound terribly realistic and I think it's limited by the hardware. I've heard great stuff from the Bias desktop software.

But while I like the concept of a physical unit that marries up with the plugin...$1300 is just too steep given the lack of effects, lack of floor controller, and relatively new name in the game.

CreamTele2

Youre assuming that I need to spend money for a power amp, when I might be running it through an existing PA. I know what youre saying though, they are obviously 2 different types of products, I guess we'll just all have to see if the market will accept the Bias Head's pricing.

Johnny21

Well, for the $1300 you get a high-quality power amp, dedicated DSP, undetectable latency, and very high quality IO connections and converters. That's much more than just a physical interface to an iPad.
I get what you're saying, but I don't see it being worth $1300.

I don't even need all that. As mentioned above, running through a PA achieves pretty much the same thing.

BrownNote71

Silver Supporting Member
Youre assuming that I need to spend money for a power amp, when I might be running it through an existing PA. I know what youre saying though, they are obviously 2 different types of products, I guess we'll just all have to see if the market will accept the Bias Head's pricing.

Positive Grid just released non-powered versions of their head & rack for $999. That's probably more of a 1:1 comparison - and in that case it doesn't do anything more for me than the other modeling products other than including wireless in the box (something I REALLY WISH would be added to other modelers - USB cables are too damn short!). Oh yeah - and actually letting me design amps in an easy, graphical fashion - can't really do that with the other modelers.

For people who want an modeler to drive an onstage cab without carrying a separate power amp, it's pretty much Bias Head and Kemper Powered and that's it.

Last edited:

mikah912

Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, the power amp thing isn't really much of an incentive. Lots of people (myself included) either favor active monitors OR go straight to FOH.

If the idea is to "replace" a guitar head (both pre and power amp), there are less expensive and great-sounding options like the THR100D ($799), which lets you load IRs and run two preamp voicings simultaneously.....also with "dedicated DSP".

The only real "advantage" is EQ matching of amp clips you load up in the Bias Head software, but then again...since the THR100D loads IRs, you can do your own EQ matching in Ozone, then export that as an IR to load onstage.

FPFL

bias is fun for metal, and has a sweet interface on every platform but I think its the least realistic of the modern bunch, if realistic matters to some. it doesn't to all!

s-gear beats it for real marshall sounds for example. i feel like the bias engine is just lacking some nuance I feel with other platforms.
can't prove it, but i feel it. i use bias on my laptop, have practiced with it, but wouldn't gig with it today.

my bandmate in a metal band plays the powered bias head. its super light and works well, but the lack of FX does annoy him too.

BrownNote71

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, the power amp thing isn't really much of an incentive. Lots of people (myself included) either favor active monitors OR go straight to FOH.

If the idea is to "replace" a guitar head (both pre and power amp), there are less expensive and great-sounding options like the THR100D ($799), which lets you load IRs and run two preamp voicings simultaneously.....also with "dedicated DSP".

The only real "advantage" is EQ matching of amp clips you load up in the Bias Head software, but then again...since the THR100D loads IRs, you can do your own EQ matching in Ozone, then export that as an IR to load onstage.

While the THR100 absolutely sounds good, I feel it's like the Katana in that it doesn't seek to model particular amps. Also I can say from experience with the THR that its 100watts is not near enough for me to hang with another guitarist with a JVM+412 - let alone ever consider using as a bass amp! And while lots of people favor active monitors, I've been on here for enough years to know there are many people who can't get on with FRFR at all and demand amp-in-the-room.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom