Anyone replaced the Whammy with the Pitchfork?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by drabombs, Apr 15, 2016.

1. drabombs

drabombs Member

I don't need the treadle sweep and I like the smaller size. I've read noise can be an issue with the Pitchfork. I like the perfect 4th and 5th, one octave up and detune settings of the whammy.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  2. rck

rck Supporting Member

3. drabombs

drabombs Member

Thanks for the reply. I know about the Ricochet. I'm not completely against it but I wanted to hear what people thought about the Pitchfork vs. Whammy on those settings.

4. ryuk

ryuk Member

What sort of noise issues have you read about? I haven't noticed any with my pitchfork.

5. Mr2D

Mr2D Member

Every noise complaint I've seen about the PF (mostly on facebook) is from people daisy chaining it. Mine's on an isolated out and isn't noisy at all.

6. ryuk

ryuk Member

Yeah, I also have mine on an isolated power output. Noise issues with daisy chaining wouldn't surprise me with this kind of pedal, so I guess TS as long as you avoid that you should be good! The blend feature is great to have, and was my main reason for replacing my whammy with the PF...don't know why digitech hasn't worked that into their design yet.

7. drabombs

drabombs Member

Yeah, noise involving power or placement of power supply, exactly. Nice to know, I have an isolated supply. Thanks guys!

8. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

The Pitch Fork has some noise issues, even with an isolated power supply. I don't think it's a defect, either. Just the design.

9. minty901

minty901 Member

It is noisy and that has nothing to do with power supply. It adds a hiss to your signal when turned on. The people who say it isn't noisy just don't have ears sensitive enough to pick it up. Trust me, it adds hiss. Not loads though, it sounds like amp hiss really.

10. ryuk

ryuk Member

I just went and did something I guess I haven't really done before...turned the pitchfork on without playing anything just to listen. Yes, it does add some hiss, even when on an isolated PP2+ power output. Minty is right, it's like a slight amp hiss.

11. Cerpin Taxt

Cerpin Taxt Member

I never owned a Whammy, but I hooked up a Hotone Soul Press expression pedal to mine and it seems to do what I expect the whammy to do. Never really tested the noise floor, but I don't have any noise complaints about mine.

I don't really use the expression pedal with the Pitch Fork much though -- instead using it like a Micro POG.

12. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

I don't have either but from the demos the Pitchfork sounds more natural to me.

13. drabombs

drabombs Member

Definitely digging the Pitchfork so far. I'm loving the soft switch too.