Anyone Retire @ 55 ???

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 02Singlecut, Feb 24, 2019.

1. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

I hit that # in April and would love to hear horror and happiness stories ? TYVM!

2. ontariomaximus

ontariomaximus Member

I am hitting 55 in March, but don't plan on retiring. I would be able at 60 I think, but I don't think I'll want to. As long as us dinosaurs need tube amps.

chumbucket, pbmw, Scrapperz and 2 others like this.
  3. PLX

PLX MENSA member, Astronaut, Dated Your Mom Once Gold Supporting Member

I'm pretty happy.

Play guitar and build amps and poast on TGP all day.

Don't listen to the haterz. :rolleyes:

4. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

I hope to see 55. That would be nice to hang it up at that age though.

5. JB Winterblues

JB Winterblues Supporting Member

I (kind of) retired at 50. Just got off the daily treadmill and started working for myself. I make about what I used to FT working an average of 2 days per week. Life is good.

mikeratan00, BenoA, HoboMan and 9 others like this.
  6. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Planned to at 62-65, a couple of unexpected pieces fell into place and I left at 58.

No real regrets (miss some people and some of the work) but happy to be out and done ("... you're not the boss of me").

7. Timcito

Timcito Member

My brother did, but that was back in England. He was a social worker. He's now a voracious reader, concert-goer, guitar player and buyer (Gretsch and Fender), poetry group member, and Julian society member. He's really enjoying life.

8. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

semi....still running sound, songwriting, and gigging. Military and State job got me here.

mikeratan00, Wolfboy1, Gilky and 2 others like this.
  9. monte

monte Gold Supporting Member

While I have saved all my life, I think having to bridge the gap for medical would eat up a lot of money until Medicare kicks in. Even then you have to get a supplement plan to cover what Medicare doesn’t.

I think 62 is my goal. College payments done, house will be paid off plus 9 more years of maxing out my 401K plan. And 9 more years of growth (hopefully) of my current investments.

10. Mudshark60

Mudshark60 Member

I retired at 57-mandatory age for federal firefighters. The house is almost paid for and the kids are out in the world doing fine on their own. I started playing guitar and have the time for lessons and practice. I still work summers as a paid-call firefighter but it's liberating to work only when you want to.

11. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

Cool and keep them coming.....I'm burnt after 32 years and want out ! I know there has to be a bunch of Financal guys here....lol

sausagefingers likes this.
  12. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Supporting Member

The view from Ice Lake in The Great White North
    Yes retired @ 55 :aok never been so busy :dunno all my own doing :bonk

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  13. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I wish.

I'm thinkin' 85. o_O

mikeratan00, QRSS, Fab4ever and 2 others like this.
  14. scott58

scott58 Member

I was going to at 63, but it's looking more like 62 and a few months. I don't have massive savings, but between pension and SS I'm not really taking much of a pay cut.

15. duegatti

duegatti Silver Supporting Member

Retired two years ago at 58. My life has been an excruciating hell the whole time, caring for my sick cat. She has cancer. She's sitting on my thigh as I type.

It's still way better than my ****** job ever was. I don't miss it for a second.

Go for it; good luck!!

16. Joseph/n

Joseph/n Member

Please share your secret sir. Come on you can tell me I will keep it hush hush. Just drop me a little dm. Now shhhhh! They might be listening. Seriously though I'm pretty young and I love getting info like this to add possible additional paths to take in life so to speak.

pbmw and JB Winterblues like this.
  17. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

I did it at 62. Kept my insurance from my job which switched over to supplementary once we both hit Medicare. The missus and I both SS, both modest pension. Savings.

No house or vehicle debt. A bit of transitory consumer debt but that gets paid pretty quickly.

Get your ducks in a row for the end game before you can’t remember anything. My parents did not and it has been and is a challenge for my sister and I.

QRSS and sausagefingers like this.
  18. shock me

shock me Member

My dad retired from the post office at 55. I think he was forced to retire. He is now 75. He is somewhat frugal. Simple life. He walked to work every day (a few blocks from home). Knows what is important. Only medical issue was a hip replacement about 6 years ago (probably from walking to work!)

Raised 2 boys and my stay at home mom with many health issues. I dont know how he does it. He's a saint.

blacknblues, QRSS, Laurence and 2 others like this.
  19. GGinMP

GGinMP Silver Supporting Member

I’m shooting for 63 1/2. That way I can stay on the company insurance through COBRA for 1 1/2 years and then get Medicare. Any younger and I’m not sure if I would want to pay private medical insurance rates.

Badtone, QRSS, fataxeman and 2 others like this.
  20. 6tringer

6tringer Member

I planned to go at 55 but wasn't quite set. Retired at 57. Worked with some great people but never really liked the job or the company. So it was not a matter of wanting to stay, just the timing.

I do not consider myself retired. I'm a currently unemployed musician. I have now been out of the workforce long enough to be unemployable. Who knew life could actually be fun...