Anyone Retire @ 55 ???

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 02Singlecut, Feb 24, 2019.

1. rog951

rog951 Member

My money guy is forcing me to stay employed 'til at least 58. I hate him for it.

treeofpain likes this.
  2. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

I retired almost 5 years ago at age 59, and although I enjoyed working, retirement is a hundred times better! ;)

Wolfboy1, rog951, treeofpain and 2 others like this.
  3. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Supporting Member

My dad retired at 58. He was miserable for the first two years. He missed his job and his routine. Just as he was getting settled in to it he got prostate cancer. He finally beat that and had a couple smooth years and this past summer he got cancer again, this time in his throat! He's healing up now from all the surgery and radiation, but retirement has not been much fun for him...

I just turned 59 last week. I plan to go until I'm 66. I retired once already in 2005 with 26 years in the USAF. I work for US Customs now and I need 7 more years to hit 20. I love my job so I'm not crying about it...

rog951 likes this.
  4. wstsidela

wstsidela I'm bonafied Gold Supporting Member

I could retire tomorrow and live a very comfortable life. That's not happening. I enjoy the hunt too much to quit.

FWIW I played guitar and chased the dream right out of high school until I was about 32. Technically speaking, I was retired the first 14 years of my adult life.

Sp8ctre and Sidney Vicious like this.
  5. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Not hard to find widely held mutual funds or ETFs focused on dividends that pass many/most ethics restrictions (e.g. Vanguard)

Sidney Vicious and monte like this.
  6. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Member

I plan on going at 56 which is my minimum age requirement. This is about 1 year from now. I've had enough after 32 years.

7. 59Vampire

59Vampire Member

A friend of mine just retired at 52. HAs been traveling the country in a rv and has a few rental properties to keep some cash flow. Very happy dude.Im jealous.

Another acquaintance I know from when i was married cashed in at 40. Hedge fund guy. Has a tone of "stuff". Not sure if he is happy.

8. bluebeard

bluebeard Member

My lovely wife retired at 55 (Dec. 2010)
    She is very happy (31 yrs at phone company)
    Waiting for me to retire
    I am 58
    2 houses in OC Ca. paid for No Debt.
    Nice Pension and 401K (28 yrs oil company)
    18 guitars , 4 Amps ,Kemper Profiler and just about every effect pedal known to man.
    Planning on retiring April 2020 (59.5 yrs old)
    So I can finally use all my gear and learn how to play guitar.

Wolfboy1 and PBGas like this.
  9. 59Vampire

59Vampire Member

\
    Respect

hotslaw likes this.
  10. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Silver Supporting Member

I took 7 years off starting at 45 and loved it ... surfed my ass off, lived in Hawaii for awhile, played tons of golf, did a lot of writing ... really enjoyed it.

And, at about 52 felt really energized to start another company which is taking everything I've got now. I think it's a shame so many people don't get an extended multi year break when their body still feels good and healthy ... Retiring at 65 or 70 when your energy is seriously waning and probably suffering from some physically limiting factors (I probably won't be surfing Hanalei bay on a triple overhead day in my late 60's!) is a waste, IMHO. I was lucky, made a lot of money off a company I built and sold so I checked out for a few years.

Best decision I ever made.

Wolfboy1, scotth and Bob Maximus like this.
  11. bluebeard

bluebeard Member

Cats Rock !
    Wife and I have 5
    Including an F2 Savannah

We get alot of enjoyment from.them
    BTW down to 1 dog as well (had 4)
    Recently had to put 3 of them down
    Heartbreaking
    Yes we are Crazy
    Its a zoo over here

12. monte

monte Gold Supporting Member

I am actually allowed to use vanguard..I can also use fidelity

PM me a good div etf or fund

13. sonhenry

sonhenry Member

Friday's my go-day. I'll let you know how I feel Monday morning after seeing my wife off to work and having the house to myself....

Tommy Biggs, PBGas, dzo and 2 others like this.
  14. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I'm not qualified to advise you, but, for example, I recommend the Vanguard advisor online (independent from Vanguard) - they do excellent analysis of the many Vanguard funds and help zero in, for ex., on good performing non-index funds that may do better than index funds in down markets.

https://adviseronline.investorplace.com/

I have no connection there other than as a paying subscriber. Their observations have been very useful guiding my decisions, with good results.

15. monte

monte Gold Supporting Member

Thank you...I will research.

16. Cool Hand

Cool Hand Member

I retired 16 yrs ago at 57 1/2. I had a nice buyout, plus an annuity from a large company I worked at for 38 yrs. The last few years there were really bad so when I retired I was in seventh heaven. My wife worked until three yrs ago so I had many years where I could pretty much do what I wanted. My motto was "Do what I want to do, when I want to do it". So when my wife retired she had no problem with all my golfing and other things I do, but I am trying to cut back and be more accomodating and do more things with her.

17. Bobbybigbucks

Bobbybigbucks Gold Supporting Member

I retired at 59 15/16. :p

I'm loving my 6+ years of stress free blissful retirement so far.

I had VA healthcare to fall back on, and good health. I didn't have to spend any money on health insurance. :banana

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  18. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

Or a huge risk if, say, you're 57 with Type II diabetes and high blood pressure. You can pay for COBRA, which ain't cheap, for 18 months but you'd be risking your entire net worth if you went uninsured (because no private plan is going to insure you) for the next 7 or so years. Or there are ACA plans, I suppose - but I hear they aren't cheap either and their coverage isn't so great (so you'd still be risking your nest egg to a significant degree). :dunno

The guy who posted what you responded to mentioned retiring at age 30 - I imagine that his attitude at age 60, or even 50, will be a tad different. :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    FenderBigot likes this.
  19. JB Winterblues

JB Winterblues Supporting Member

I developed a unique set of skills that in my tiny slice of academia makes me an "expert" in that area. I marketed myself to several companies who need my expertise, and as a condition of my employment, I am only required to be onsite for meetings/training 1 - 2 days a week. Often I have to get on a plane to be onsite, which is ok by me. I like traveling.

I actually do more than that, in terms of preparation (reading, scripting, practicing) but I only have to put pants on 1 - 2x a week. I don't think I could ever really "retire" so this is pretty good for now.

20. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

59. best move for me. goals are good, one of my goals was to be mortgage free @ 50, which i hit almost to the day, that made lots of things possible. i do as i please, sometimes i please to “do nothing”. my choice.

treeofpain likes this.