Anyone rock a ES345 ???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rockinrobby, Dec 1, 2012.

1. gadzooka

gadzooka Member

Oh right, I had forgotten that yours came with a factory trapeze.

I had a late 60s 335 with the trapeze, and it really was a different animal than any stop tail guitar I've had. I liked it, but the 345 appeals to me much more. I think the tail is part of the equation.

2. stilwel

stilwel Supporting Member

After a year of ownership and two Bigsby installs, I've decided this is simply a fantastic guitar. I am really pleased with it. Possibly my best guitar, which means a lot going up against 2 vintage Les Pauls.

I don't understand the complaints about the Varitone. I think it makes the guitar extremely versatile.

3. gadzooka

gadzooka Member

You and I have newer ES-345s, with the dual jacks. I really wonder if this new wiring scheme is an improvement with regard to Varitone. I've said it in other threads, VT position 1 is working as a true bypass in my guitar. The VT problem might be in (some) older guitars only, I don't know. Maybe it's an issue with the stereo wiring and not the VT itself..?

4. stilwel

I took a couple of nice pics of my 345 last weekend...thought I'd share them and give this thread a BUMP.

Click the yellow bars for the full-size size pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

6. rewihendrix

rewihendrix Member

I have an ES-347.

A very misunderstood guitar. Extremely high powered pickups (16k!) that felt like a very strange choice in an ES. But it came with a coil split that gives a lovely split tone.

For the first couple of years of playing it, I only used it in split mode, because full on hum bucking was way too muddy. I thought it was the pickups, until I saw the pots that Gibson put in them. 300K volume and 100K (!) tone! wtf? I guess their logic may have been that the split could would be too bright with higher value pots. But then, isn't that what a tone knob is for?

After changing out all the pots for 500K, the sound is superb. Surprisingly bright clean tones on the hum buckers, even as hot as they are, and of course that superb low end that only hot hum buckers can give you. The coil split gives a nice twang. Not quite the same as a strat, but still nice in its own right. Really great for rhythm parts and soaring leads that require a bit less fatness and more glassiness.

The one minor issue is that, like most off the 335-type models, the neck pup is a wee bit louder than the bridge. I could swap out the bridge for something even more beastly, but I honestly can't be bothered with wiring it again, especially with the coil split in such an awkward position.

7. gadzooka

gadzooka Member

Wow, what a beauty! I'm glad I finally decided to give a new ES-345 a try. I love mine.

I like that you replaced the trapeze with a Bigsby. How is it working out for you?

8. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Member

That fade is BEAUTIFUL... looks like a gold top!

9. stilwel

Bigsby works great now that I put a penny under the trem spring. The arm was sitting too close to the body. A penny under the spring changed the angle perfectly.

10. pfflam

pfflam Member

I have a varitone in my heavily heavily modded Epi DOt -

What I really want is the brass plate for the Varitone -all I have now is a black one - any ideas of after-market providers for that plate?

BTW here is an image before I went all Gold hardware and Gold Bigsby:
    [​IMG]

Davesnothere likes this.
  11. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Member

I saw a transparent blue es 345 once in a local music shop. Guy had it custom painted at gibson. After a few months he decided it wasnt for him and sold it.

12. gillman royce

gillman royce Supporting Member

True. I have a 335 with split coils and a 345/varitone and they are not the same - but they both give you the single coil sound, just different flavors, which is a cool thing.

13. gillman royce

there was a guy on ebay selling a brass repro for $ 35.

14. gillman royce

a very cool and hard to find guitar

15. gillman royce

and solid state HH Amps

16. gillman royce

+1

17. pfflam

pfflam Member

I should update my pic
    [​IMG]

Davesnothere likes this.
  18. fezz parka

fezz parka Member

355. Need to wear the helmet, it's a dangerous guitar:

[​IMG]

pfflam likes this.
  19. Kylef

Kylef Member

20. qblue

qblue Member

[​IMG]

I have a ES-347 too, but all stock.

I find that it is a blues monster and stays in tune, despite all the bent notes. I used to use it in coil-tap mode, but now I like the humbuckers' sound. I'll use it for jazz gigs too, but in humbucker mode it could overwhelm the other instruments. I have used it for rock, gospel, smooth jazz, and R&B.

I once found a set of Classic '57 neck and Classic 57 + bridge pickups that had 4-wires so both could be coil-tapped. But now they are so rare, they were snapped up at the asking price on ebay, just last week. Those are the only pups I want for replacement because it's a no-brainer as to their sound. Gibson discontinued them a few years ago, though, and they had gold covers, too.

I had a bridge pickup that was louder than the neck. I solved the problem by lowering that pickup a bit. Try it you'll like it.

Davesnothere likes this.