Anyone rocking/rocked a Crazy Tube Vyagra Boost? (Comparisons betweeen EP & Katana)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rochell59, Feb 9, 2015.

1. rochell59

rochell59 Member

Heyo,

I'm looking into one of these to replace my V1 EP Booster. I love the tone of the EP, but the extra volume boost can be a bit much. Also, sometimes I'd like less bottom end from it.

1. Would I be able to get EP toanz with the EQ section?

2. How does the boost-only side compare to say a Keeley Katana? (I know from experience the Katana is a SUPERB clean boost, though pricey.)

I'm also looking at the Mini Katana that's about to come out.

Thanks!

2. rochell59

rochell59 Member

3. pulse.

pulse. Silver Supporting Member

I have a Vyagra on my board since it was released and it will never leave from my board.
    It's an extremely useful tool and the version two looks like it's even more versatile.
    Never had an EP or a Katana though.

4. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

First of all, let's remind everyone that the EP Booster by Xotic has few things in common with the preamp section of an Echoplex, but unfortunately it just got better publicity than the actual true preamp pedals that recreate it, like the Clinch EP Pre or the Badgerplex. Nowadays you also have Dunlop and Catalinbread making an attempt to recreate it, but I don't know how successful they are circuit-wise and sound-wise.

Now to answer your question, an EP preamp will not only introduce some subtle EQ changes but some phase shift across a certain EQ spectrum. I don't really believe that either the Katana of the Vyagra offer the same EP-style changes, but they'll reply by email if you ask them. I have only heard the Vyagra, and it's an excellent pedal that I would recommend 100%.

5. pappafox

pappafox Member

Doesn't the V2 EP booster address those very issues?

6. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

7. rochell59

rochell59 Member

Op here. The only "issue" I have with the EP is that it doesn't do unity gain. I really like the character it adds to my soloing. I only use it for that and for cleanish boost. I already know the katana is a "more" pedal, but how does the boost side of the Vyagra compare to the katana? Also, can the EQ side approximate the EP flavor? ie (increase lower mids.)

8. pulse.

pulse. Silver Supporting Member

Vyagra does unity gain and you can increase any frequency 120-1200hz from 0-15 db