anyone rocking the Marshall 50th Anniv. 1-watt amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by spookyelectric, Mar 31, 2015.

1. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

Just curious if anyone here is still rocking one of the marshall 1-watt amps that came out last year (or was it year before last)?

http://www.marshallamps.com/products/amplifiers/one-watt-series/

I finally got a chance to try the DSL-1c and thought it sounded pretty atrocious, but I'm still very curious about the JTM-1 and JMP-1 (60's and 70's era marshalls, respectively).

Anyone here using them at home on a regular basis and can chime in with how they feel about them now that they've used them for a while and have gotten more familiar with them.

2. sportoflife

sportoflife Member

I have the JVM1H and I LOVE it! I live in an apartment and it gets the sound I want a extremely low levels.

I have also used it to jam with a drummer and it really needs to be miked through a PA to compete.

The build quality seems to be great. All joints are solid and it seems to be flawless.

To he honest the JMP would most likely fit my musical preference a little bit better but I don't have the freedom to crank those to get the desired drive.

3. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

I still have a JMP1 head and still love it. Pair it with a 2x12 or 4x12 and it's loud enough for moderately loud bands. May need to mic it for louder bands or in live situations. Outstanding for recording.

4. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

So what is considered the strongest amp of the series?

5. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

I tried a few of them at GC a few years ago and didnt care for them too much. At least not for the money they wanted. My Class 5 to me sounded much better at a lower price.

6. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

I have the Offset (JTM1h) and matching cab. Had it about a year or so, def not in the honeymoon phase anymore. It's perfect for me. Nice cleans in 1w mode. When I first got it I used the low power mode a lot but have been using 1w mode exclusively for a couple of months now.

Sounds great recorded in Garageband. And if I want some higher gain stuff, I stomp on my Lovepedal Superlead pedal and I'm there. Got mine when MF had the set on sale for $800. It was a great buy at that price, imho.

7. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

JCM1 Head and JCM1 Combo.

I have the head in my Studio. Still dig it but I Havn't used it in a while. I have 2 champs that I run in stereo with a Flashback that I really dig. I have running into a 1x12 Marshall cab. Sounds really killer thru my JCM 800 4x12 Cab. No regrets on buying it. She's a keeper. I have the Combo in my living room. Wife don't mind it due to the size. I've got a Strat right next to it ready to go for that occassional living room jam.

8. kovhanperl

kovhanperl Member

I don't have the freedom to crank those to get the desired drive.[​IMG]

9. Mrmarshallhead

Mrmarshallhead Member

I have the offset and the Anderton's limited heads.

Live I use them re-amped through a Palmer speaker simulator through rack multi effects and a power amp, as they're nowhere near loud enough to keep up with the band, but in the house they are surprisingly loud. Louder than 5 or 10w tranny practice amps of old!

The offset is one vol, one tone but is easier to get a great sound from than the Anderton head which has more tone controls and normal/high treble volumes.

I don't have the matching cabs, I just stick them through whatever in the house, but I do have a JMI Domino 1x12 cab with an Elac speaker in it which sounds amazing with them.

10. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

I have a JMP1 and just sold my JTM1 and JCM1. I also have full size versions of each of those amps and have done a lot of back and forth comparisons. They all sound really close. Overall, the head version is where it's at. That tiny speaker in the combos is terrible. In general, they all seem to have a little more gain than their larger cousins.

The JCM1 has a great distortion tone, just like a 2204 but smaller. The JTM1 is great clean and takes pedals really well. The JMP1 is a little more compressed with it's clean sound but sounds awesome when cranked. It also has the boost which puts it almost into JCM territory.

11. 8len8

8len8 Member

I take my JCM1H out of the closet every now and then. Nice little amp to jam at home through.

12. lovesacdc

lovesacdc Member

I bought a JMP-1 Head and couldn't bond with it. I tried swapping the tubes, but the bass notes were terrible, like a smouldering mess. I lasted two weeks and traded it.

13. briwinters

briwinters Member

Have the JTM-1C, it's my go to practice amp at home. Great Marshall cleans, takes pedals really well. Plenty loud in the 1 watt mode, in the .01 watt mode can get a little muddy cranked but fun for occasional late night jamming. Paired with a good boost pedal and I'm in tone heaven.

14. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Supporting Member

Nothing atrocious about my DSL1c at all - I love it! Bought it when it came out, and I don't see myself ever selling.

Steve

15. schwa

schwa Member

I have the Offset, JTM1, and the JMP1.

I have developed a strong preference for head/cabs over combos, so I even sourced "matching" cabs for my JTM and JMP.

[​IMG]

The Offset and the JTM1 are very similar and are great practice/recording amps. I like the JMP1 the best, I like the gain curve and the boost, though I do wish it had more bass.

I really like them, and think they may someday be regarded as "classics".

16. A-Mags

A-Mags Supporting Member

Love love love love love mine!
    I have the JTM1w offset head and cab and the Limited edition Anderton's JTM145.
    I've got the tone dead on for the Beano album, it's so great :) :) :)
    Some major decisions are swaying me to have to let one of them (the JTM145) go though.
    They have me jonesing for a 30w KT66 JTM45!!!

17. Fiftywattmafia

Fiftywattmafia Member

How about all of them?
    [​IMG]

Some thoughts... First the .1 watt mode works great for what it is designed to do. Second, the 1 watt mode brings great tone and a nice amount of volume, actually. Enough to give you a cranked tone and some loudness but just shy of real high volume and that kind of punch that big iron and wattage brings. That's not such a bad thing. Its just enough to rock and not get blown away playing at home in a private space. Now, the magic of big amps can STILL happen with this run of amps when you use a 4x12 and a larger sized head that has a loop as a slave. Run the 1 watt in .1 watt mode, run a guitar cable from one of the outputs into the effect loop return jack.... And there it is... Big power, big tone, and big punch.

Lastly, a quick summary of the 5:

JTM1: amazing cleans early then wonderful vintage breakup that is so easy to play. Doesn't get louder after 5.5 just more breakup and then compression. Great tone.

JMP1: very cool plexi experience. Great with the volume on 5, 8 or jacked to 10. Boost on the back makes it a modded plexi. A tad bass starved...but the 4x12 helps that.

JCM1: very fun. More gain than a 2203. Retains the fundamental character of rocks greatest amp in a small package. Boost works great on this too. Can be set for Marshall cleans that actually sound great.

DSL1: gets the least amount of love but may be the most versatile. Clean channel stays almost totally clean despite gain or volume settings. Kind of a scooped mid clean tone, bouncy. High gain channel is true to Ultra 1 until 5 then past 5 turns into Ultra 2 with the gain on 8... Which I never cared for with the full sized originals. I keep the gain on 4 and that's plenty of gain.

JVM1: great sparkly clean channel with more high end sparkle and mid focus. Will break up at higher settings around 7. Gain channel is gain city. Ridiculous amounts that is amazingly all usable. The most fun for me and when used with my Friedman as the slave... Instant full sized monster JVM tone.

For what they are and what they were designed for.... They are excellent tools for making music and serve many purposes other than the very dumb shortsighted crap that people parrot in the forums. No, they are not doorstops or collectors items or toys. That stuff is pure and total nonsence.

Can't live without 100 watts? Good for you... Enjoy. I'm happy with what I've got. Works for me. As for the cost? Who gives a damn. That tone is therapy!!!

GibsonLives and Guild_S-100 like this.
  18. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

So if you had to pick a favorite which one would it be?

19. I am the Liquor

I am the Liquor Member

Had a friend talk me into one primarily because of noise restrictions in my present suite. Have a 100w DSL and it's just too loud for my new living arrangement.

Have to admit I initially scoffed at the idea of getting one of these, mostly because of the price, but now that I have one I wont be selling it ever. The only thing I wish is I had more of the different models, some of which are already becoming more difficult to find. I have the JVM 1 and am over the moon about it. Couldnt be happier with it tbh. It's a fantastic piece of gear.

I run the 1w through my 4x12 and the sound is huge. I wonder what it would sound like running through the unleash. Anyone have any experience with that?

20. tcdrover

tcdrover Member

I'm very happy with my JCM. I have it right next to me by my computer.

I work from here. I'm playing that thing on most days.

When I first got it I was using a closed back budda 2x12, and it sounded fantastic on that.

Last year I bought a Mesa 1x12 widebody cab that I use just for that little head and my OR15. It sounds just as sweet on that.

It's a great sounding little head. I was impressed with how clear the cleaner sounds were when I got it. When you crank it, or use the boost it really shows it's worth IMHO.

[​IMG]