Anyone run pedals into two of the exact same amp in stereo?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Fusionshred, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Fusionshred

Fusionshred Supporting Member

Basically, I'm interested in hearing about experiences running two of the same amp in stereo. Does that effectively make you sound twice as loud? Is there twice as much power and headroom? Does it work?

2. Loop-Master

Loop-Master Member

I run everything into a Fulltone TTE and then stereo out to two Fender Deluxe Reverb amps. Just thickens things up a bit. More headroom? Yes Volume? Yes (had to turn them both down)

3. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

:agreeI run out of my Stereo Wet, the last pedal in the chain into 2- Mesa Lonestar Specials!! If you 'like" your tone,then you will "love" your tone x2. I have been doing this for years, and wouldn't want it any other way!!!!

4. Fusionshred

Cool. Basically, I have a Princeton Reverb RI that I like, but I need more live volume for practices and gigs, so I'm considering adding one and then running them together, if I could run each of them at a lower volume and keep them both clean (pedals for dirt)

5. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

I run a boss me 50 stereo into 2 fender hot rod devilles. 1 is a 2x12 other is 4x10. Yeah it works. Really works great when using stereo effects. I love it, the tone is huge and full. The boss has a bit to be desired but i only use the effects once and a while.

6. Walkerjerry

Walkerjerry Member

Yep, I run stereo into 2 ac15's.

7. elevenstrings

elevenstrings Member

Running stereo into a Raven Labs Universal Stereo Preamp into two Phil Jones Bass PB-300's.

8. willc68

willc68 Member

I normally run a stereo setup all the time and a lot of them times I will run 2 of the same amps.
    The Silvertone 1482 is fun cause of the tremelo effect and other times I will run 2 Fender Musicmaster Bass amps when I want some raunchy rock sounds.
    Stereo is cool no matter what amps you run though.

9. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I used to run stereo into two blues juniors, then I added a line out from each to PA speakers for wet effects, so I had 4 amps/speakers. I ended up going into one amp, line out to stereo/wet effects to two PA speakers for a w/d/w rig. Two amps sound great though, especially if you create a mild stereo image between them: a short delay and/or a mild detune, or a spread stereo chorus.

10. Fusionshred

Interesting responses! Thanks! I have a Boss CH-1 incoming, that will go into a DD-7, which I could run stereo out to the two.

The only thing I still ahve to figure out is how to be able to use one footswitch to simultaneously switch the reverb or vibrato on the two amps at the same time (either that or just run one dry all the time).

11. guitarrhinoceros

guitarrhinoceros Senior Member

So interesting ... owning two identical amps. I couldn't do it.

12. yerbluesrob

yerbluesrob Supporting Member

I love running stereo, but I like using different amps to get a slightly different tone with each.

13. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

Same here. I set the amps to compliment each other with different gain levels and EQ, which could still be done with 2 of the same amp of course. Its a great sound, but if only one amp gets miked at a gig, that effectively makes the other amp a monitor/backup, which can still be a good thing.

I guess I don't really do 'stereo' though, I just use 2 amps!

14. Elvis Nixon

Elvis Nixon Member

I've been doing it forever in the studio, I even have a "small, medium, and large" set of amps for this.

Small= Pair of Mesa Studio .22+ one with graphic EQ option
    Medium= Pair of Tone King Continentals
    Large= Pair of 50W Marshall JMP 1987 models one is a 1973, one is a RI

I generally set it so one amp accentuates the highs and lows by cutting some mids. You just don't want them "stepping" on each other frequency-wise.

I also run a pair of identical mono delays before each amp which can be set to widen the stereo effect if needed.

15. MartinCliffe

MartinCliffe Member

Currently running two Tweaker 15s like this. I've previously used a couple of Laney combos, and a couple of Peavey heads. Works great.

16. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

I run 2 Marshall class 5's at smaller gigs all the time.I will probably never run one amp again.Its awesome for sure.

17. ((TechnicolorSkyline))

((TechnicolorSkyline)) Supporting Member

I ran twin AC30s in stereo for years. Much fuller and 3-D like sound, really fills the room/venue nicely.

18. Bman20

Bman20 Supporting Member

i run two ac30's w/greenbacks and i love it. Much more oomph, low emd, presence, and just overall warmer than one amp. When u go stereo, the two amps create a 'coupling' effect, which u will find that running both amps at relatively liwer volumes will turn a huge, much louder output, u wont be dissapointed.

19. guitarrhinoceros

guitarrhinoceros Senior Member

Is this the effect of the two amps running in stereo or merely the effect of having another speaker cab pushing out sound?

Technically, a guy/girl with a single amp and well-spaced cabinets could achieve similar FULL sounding tones, right? The effect can't all be attributed to ping pong delays and the like, right?

20. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

I run 2 hotrod deville 2x12s for recording all the time & sometimes live.

The signal gets split coming out of a stereo chorus.
    Each side then goes through its own DE-7, through one side of a DL4, then out to the amps.

The result is huge.