Anyone running a Celestion blue in a two 6L6 amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GuitarInnovations, Feb 14, 2015.

1. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

I don't see myself cranking this amp all the way up, as I primarily use it at home. May use it for recording.

Anyone doing this?

2. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

Just one is too low of watt rating (15 watts) ....you'd blow the speaker even playing rather low volume.

3. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

If they are, they're not doing it for long.

I'm not a hard and fast stickler to the "2X the wattage of the amp" rule every time if I'm not turning up loud, though I would never run an underpowered speaker like the scenario you mention. Bare minimum is matching wattage for wattage (and yes there is obviously still a risk espcially if using a boost).

Just get a Gold if you want the sound of a Blue in a 40-50 watt dual 6L6 amp.

4. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

Volume pot setting and/or your ears are not reliable power indicators.

Plus cranked amps sound GOOD so you'll do it unconsciously.

Similar to: "don't worry honey, I'll pull out in time" ....and with similar life changing effects.

5. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

You will end up blowing up the blue. As suggested earlier go w/ the Gold, it's close to a Blue and has tighter bass. I've got one in a Allen Encore 2-6L6 amp and it sounds fantastic.

6. zenas

zenas Member

At home I wouldn't put a blue or gold in any amp I'd want something less efficent.
    They put out 100 DBs @ 1 watt @ 1 meter. In other words pretty freaking loud in a small space.
    Unless you don't want to turn the amp up much.

7. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

Why would you risk a blue when there is the 50 watt gold and 90 watt cram coming out soon?

8. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

9. LARRY GERSHON

LARRY GERSHON Silver Supporting Member

That's 2 6v6 tubes 22 watts

10. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

2 6V6's is not the same as 2 6L6's. 15-22 watts vs 40-50 watts. And as I mentioned earlier, that Blue is underrated for the amp at 22 watts. Probably going to be fine if being played at lower clean volumes. Until it's pushed for tube breakup and/or a loud boost hits it. Then it's play and pray.

11. MHG

MHG Member

I'm using a single blue with my 50w amp running in 25w class A mode. Sounds amazing. I've also run a 150w amp into a Gold/G12H-Anniversary cab with no problems........at relatively low volumes of course. The Gold however doesn't sound like a Blue. You should check out the new 90w Cream Alnico.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  12. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

The Lazy J20 is 2X6l6 and comes stock with a Celestion Blue. I've dimed it with the stock tubes and rectifier and even an OD pedal with no trouble. Also tried it with NOS RCA 6V6 and a few different rectifiers but eneded up putting the stock glass back in. Sounded better with what it was designed for. IMHO the blue is far better sounding than the gold. I hate the honky gold. I have a Scumback M75 in it presently to knock a few dbs off for home use but eventually the blues going back in and the M75 will go in a separate cab.
    It really depends on the design and transformers of the amp in question.

13. cbguy

cbguy Green & Gold Supporter

I've never cranked my Lazy J 20 all the way but I've never felt like anything was in danger when I turned it up, either. A pair of 6L6s, 18 watts, a Blue, and somehow it all comes together nicely.

Mine has the built-in attenuator so I've never had to turn it up all the way to get a particular tone.

14. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

The Gold is a fine speaker in itself, but the only thing that sounds like a Blue is, well, a blue.

15. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

Oh, that's disappointing. Hmmm.....I suppose I could look into the Gold.

16. rockometeramp

rockometeramp Member

I have a Teisco Checkmate 18, go ahead and laugh, the stock 2x10 speakers sound ok, I think they're made by pioneer. No volume, oomph, etc. I plugged it into a new Blue and it sounds incredible, and much louder than the 2x10's.

Don't know that I'd hook that speaker up to anything more powerful though, too expensive.

Rocco

17. randombastage

randombastage Member

+1 on the LazyJ with Blue and 6L6's. Great combination. I don't push it to the limits so I have no idea how many watts the speaker really has to deal with.

18. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

I normally have amp on 3-4 with the tone on 9 and the VAC about 1/3 up for home playing. Hitting it with a Caveman or my new favorite pedal, the Astrotone. It sure loves to wail up on 9-10 too though.