Anyone running a Darkglass 500 and matching 2 x 10 ?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by joshinthecity, Dec 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. joshinthecity

joshinthecity Member

Because I'm so close to pulling the trigger...
    It's a big spend for me though.

Tell me oh wise ones..

j.
    [​IMG]

2. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Supporting Member

I don't play one, just wanted to say that's a sexy looking rig.

3. olejason

olejason Member

I have the 900 and dig it a lot. It sounds amazing through my Aguilar cabs. I'm not a huge fan of the DI sound so I usually ask for a mic on the cab. Personally I think the cabs are horrendously overpriced and weigh a ridiculous amount for something being released in 2017. I'd look elsewhere for a cab, there's really no advantage to matching brands IMO.

4. joshinthecity

joshinthecity Member

Thanks olejason.
    I can't argue about the price of the cabs !
    I assume your experience with the 900 is very relevant. I want the 500, just because I'll only be playing in the house. The 900 is tempting though because the price difference between the two is not that great.
    The idea of a matched set really appeals to me as this is a purchase that I'll be keeping for a VERY long time. Price is absolutely a factor, however I'd rather save a little longer if necessary than cut any corners. The rig will have to live discreetly in my lounge room. I'll certainly do some more research on quality 2 x 10's based on what you said hough..
    Thanks for the reply .
    Josh.

5. Devnor

Devnor Member

I'm about to buy the 900. Sorry to hear you don't like the DI.

That setup looks sweet!

6. Daniel Piper

Daniel Piper Member

The beautiful Taupo in Aotearoa, New Zealand
    I think he's meaning he prefers the tone of mic'd cabs to DI tone- in general.

Particularly in an amp head known for its biting grinding distortion.

7. royd

royd Member

Can I ask what it is about the Darkglass that has caught your ear? Darkglass strikes me as being a little overpriced for what you get considering the other options on the market right now.

There are lots of other options in that price range, each with its own selection of features, most of which give you more power and lighter weight. For about the same price you could get the Genzler 800 head and a BA210-3 cab or save a bit and get the BA12-3SLT cab. Either rig would give you more IMHO and the bass array design is really effective. You could even save a good bit more and go with the Genzler 350 “Combo” which would be way more than enough as a home rig. With the 350, you do lose the dirty channel though if that is what you’re looking for. Add a Darkglass pedal and you have the dirt and everything else at a significantly lower price. The single BA10-2 cab would not hang with a loud band so if you get there at some point, you’d have to either add another one or get a bigger cab. You’d still be at a much lower price. The Mesa Subway series are likewise cool as are the Trickfish... and folk would likely recommend Aguilar and maybe Quilter as well. I’d check out all of those options before making your final decision.

8. olejason

olejason Member

A Genzler 800 plus a DG pedal would either be the same price as the M900 or a bit more expensive if you want the 'Ultra' version of the pedal. Big advantage of the head is that you get the VMT + B3k options plus a pretty good clean amp in the form of the ICE module w/ Microtubes turned off. I use the M900 on jazz gigs pretty regularly, obviously without the distortion stuff turned on and it sounds great. Darkglass products are definitely expensive but that's just the way it goes with anything "boutique"... even more so if it comes from Scandinavia. That isn't to say it isn't worth looking at Genzler though, I would absolutely go with a Genzler cab over the Darkglass cabs.

As far as not liking the DI... yeah I think a mic is better if you're running distortion or a lot of fuzz. I've asked a few sound guys I work with regularly to put a mic on the M900 plus run a DI. They've usually told me the DI sounded better so maybe it isn't as bad as I think. Mostly I just don't like the sound of DI'd fuzz.

9. royd

royd Member

I did not mean to imply that the Darkglass should be out of the running, only that there are lots of other options. As for adding the VMT or B3 to the Genzler, I was talking about adding that to the 350, not the 800. That would still be a savings. I don’t ever play dirty so have no idea how the dirty channel of the Genzler 800 compares to the Darkglass engine. I assume it is significantly less versatile but I have no idea to what degree that is pushing the OP’s decision.

If all the OP is asking is whether the Darkglass rig is a good rig, then the answer is obvious. Yes. It is, albeit, likely overkill for playing at home. If the OP is asking whether there might be other options that could be a better match for their situation and even taste, again the answer is yes. It is nice that we’re in a time when there are multiple excellent choices that would not be a bad decision - not even vanilla vs. chocolate, but 60% cacao vs. 65% cacao... and that is completely a matter of taste.