anyone running a Sansamp or similar into powered speakers?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by spookyelectric, Mar 16, 2015.

1. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

In my quest for the perfect low volume rock setup for playing in the den, I was looking at Sansamp and some of the stuff from AMT Labs (their Legend series stuff), and wondered if anyone was running things like this into powered speaker monitor?

I'm guessing that it would work quite well for low volume playing? Say, if I went with an AMT Labs P2 (Peavey 5150 in a box) and ran it out to a powered speaker monitor (something small like for a desktop) using either the cab sim out or most likely the preamp out, would that work well?

2. rsm

rsm Member

I use digital modelers now, but I still have my Tech21 Liverpool that I used with pedals into my FRFR, works great at multiple volume levels.

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Tech 21 British Character pedal, Tech 21 FlyRig5 and a AMT B2 here. All work great into a good powered monitor.

4. spookyelectric

how do you like the B2, Scott? I listened to a bunch of demos online this weekend by Burgs and he makes them all sound great. I think I liked the P2, R2 and D2 the most, but they all sounded very very nice!

Is it hard to control the volume? I used a Tech21 British once into the front end of my amp and it went from 0 to earbleed loud volume from 0 to 1 on the pedal's level knob.

5. spookyelectric

6. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

The early Character Pedals had a quicker taper on the Level controls. The V2's have a more graduated taper. In general when using an amp emulator into the front end of an amp you are better off using the "low" or padded input on the amp if one is available.

7. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Burgs is scary good at making everything sound good. I LOVE his demos.

I bought the B2 because of his demo of some of the other AMT stuff. It sounds pretty good; but it sounds like a really good pedal, not an amp. This one is cool; it has essentially a clean and a dirty 'channel' if you will; and it would work fine in any mix or on stage but I don't consider it any sort of transcendent tone machine though... it is a great tool. It is what it is in every sense. A well done and versatile pedal.

8. spookyelectric

Yeah, I need to have a realistic expectation of things going in-- I don't expect it to sound like the most life-like amp-in-a-box, but then again, it'd be going into a small powered monitor, so as long as it doesn't sound tinny, thin and digital then I'd be pretty happy.

The whole reason for this is that I'm using a nice sounding pedal into a small Fender tube amp (the Excelsior they did a few years ago), and I hate firing it up in the basement for such low volume playing. It's tricky to get it to sound good at low volume because it goes from too quiet to too loud really easily.

I figured with a powered monitor I'd be able to fine tune the volume to a more reasonable level for jamming. This way I wouldn't have to put headphones on to jam-- that way the wires on the headphone don't get in the way of playing, and I've never played with headphones on and had it sound anything other than terrible and tinny and fake sounding :(

9. rublalup

rublalup Member

I´ve used my (no longer with me) Fly Rig 5 direct to PA, with amps and into powered monitors.

The Sansamp section sounded great. Very dinamic, organic, inspiring tone.

10. spookyelectric

I remember trying the Sansamp GT2 a few years ago straight into the front end of my amp and being severely disappointed. Oh, if I only knew the correct use for it at the time!

11. AdamSH89

AdamSH89 Member

I've run an Ethos with the speaker simulated output into everything from my band's powered EV mains to just my Personal monitor amp with IEMs for practicing and it sounds consistently great. I've never actually done just a poweramp with FRFR speakers at "bedroom volume", but I assume (uh oh...) that if you're just using a linear class D amp the tone shouldn't change terribly at that lower apartment volume. It kills in my contexts haha. Good luck brother!