Anyone running an OCD into their DRRI?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by IbanezAFS75, Jan 14, 2008.

1. IbanezAFS75

IbanezAFS75 Member

I'll be replacing the speaker soon (Cannabis Rex?) and want an OD that'll sound good with it, i haven't used an OD pedal since I've had the amp because of how bright and fizzy every pedal I've tried sounded through it.

How does the OCD sound through it? any other suggestions?

2. Rick1114

Rick1114 Supporting Member

I had the OCD v3 when my DRRI was stock. The OCD has a sharpness to it when you turn up the gain that the DDRI will accentuate - not pleasing to my ear.

I ended up modding the daylights out of my amp and It sounds amazing now, for me at least. The best thing you can for pedals is clip the bright cap! It's easy and you can always put in a lower value cap. I eventually put a 5pf cap (from mouser) in mine and it's good balance for keeping the amps presence and not making your pedals sound fizzy.

Rick

3. giggedy

giggedy Member

how did you clip the bright cap, just clip it? I know how to solder, and have built 3 pedals, should I have any problems?

4. Redhouse-Blues

Redhouse-Blues Member

I ran my OCD with my DRRI this weekend for a Worship gig and I set the DRRI plugged into Vibrato channel 1, Volume on 5, Treb on 5, Bass on 6, Reverb on 3 and the OCD, Volume on 11 o'clock, Drive at 1 o'clock, tone at 1 o'clock in LP mode and I had great Blues/Rock tone. I got told over and over how great my tone was and fit into the band and how great it came out the PA. The band had an Acoustic player, key's, bass and a Drummer and my DRRI is stock.

It's the OCD or BB Pre Amp in front of the DRRI or any of my Fender amp's and it sounds great.

5. Rick1114

If you've built 3 pedals there should be no problem. Just learn how to drain the filter caps so you are safe from potential shock hazards.

Once you have the amp open, you can remove the circut board with the bright cap. There are 2 circut boards, the main one and a smaller removable one that has the control knobs pots attached to it and the tone stack. The 2nd board is only attached to the main board with some socket plugs that come right off. So once you remove the knobs and the 3 socket plugs that board comes right out (you may have to remove the bias adjustment pot so you have more clearance, it sits just under the 2nd circut board).

Then you find C10 and remove it or replace it with a lower value. If you've built pedals, you know how easy replacing a cap is! I used a 5pf bright cap, but I also replaced the mids resisitor with 10k and the slope resisitor with 90k (and a few coupling caps on the main board for more drive). The slope resisitor helped this amp a lot with the harshness.

I also installed a Red, White & Blues speaker. The Cannibus Rex may be too dark IMO, I guess people put this speaker in to compensate for the brightness. I'd rather mod the amp and keep a "fendery" speaker!

Rick

6. brianf

brianf Member

Funny. I find the OCD dark with my DRRI which has the stock speaker in it and EH tubes across the board.

I find that the DRRI will take any pedal made.

I even use a stock DS1 Boss with it with the gain almost off to nail Keiths tone.

GT500 works well with it, Bodd MD2 even puts out a convincing metal tone.

Just a great all around amp that can handle almost every dirt box thrown at it.

If you think it sounds bright just cut some treble on the amp or the box.

brianf

7. Rick1114

I guess it depends on context, playing style etc....

I play mostly at practice levels and I remember having a headache the first day I brought the OCD home. It's meant to go in front of an driven amp, and the DRRI is sqeaky clean! I know that it would sound amazing at band levels (for leads especially), but not as a "practice" overdrive pedal. The OCD doesn't sound it's best in that context - neither does the DRRI (until you mod it...:D)

I tried a few values in the bright cap and it does affect the pedals a lot.