Anyone running an old Bassman into a 1x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stratotastic, Apr 27, 2016.

1. stratotastic

stratotastic Member

Just picked up a '68 Bassman and currently have a 1x12 cab to play it through. I have plenty of nice 8-ohm speakers lying around but was wondering if anyone's using a single 4-ohm speaker and how it's working out. Choices seem somewhat limited, so I'm trying to get some ideas. So far the Texas Heat and the ET-65 look like reasonable choices. Any other thoughts?

Thanks

2. carl_is_tall

carl_is_tall Member

Maybe I'm living dangerously but when I play my '66 Bassman, I just use an 8-ohm 1x12 cab. The Bassman's Bass side is modded as more of a Marshally sound, the normal side no mods at all. So with an A/B switcher,.. I can have 2 separate channels that sound drastically different,... which is cool IMO. I don't gig with that setup often but it's fun to every once in awhile.

I've never had any issues running it into my 8-ohm cab.

3. XSinner13X

XSinner13X Member

well considering it was originally designed to run 4 10's that's what I would use

People will argue this like the adage of "tone is in the fingers."
    Me I like my OT's to NOT burn up from mismatched impedances...

4. carl_is_tall

carl_is_tall Member

I wasn't arguing anything,... I have years of experience with this particular amp and this particular speaker with ZERO issues. That is a fact. My OT has NEVER burned up. If you have burned up an OT by doing exactly what I am, I honestly would love to hear your experience.

I'm not saying that is the best way or that you should,... I am merely pointing out my experience.

And I don't think a '68 Bassman was designed to run 4, 10" speakers. They came with a few cab options but not a 4x10. You might be thinking of a tweed Bassman,.. not a Silverface or Blackface.

5. stratotastic

stratotastic Member

Not designed to run 4 10s. This is a silverface originally packaged with a 2x12. I haven't ruled out getting a 2x12 but I like the weight/portability of a 1x12.
    Have you actually burned up a Bassman this way, or are you just basing this off things you read on the internet?

Baxtercat likes this.
  6. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

It is well documented that old blackface and silverface Bassmans handle an impedance mismatch just fine. Mine sounds great at 8 ohms with a Celestion V-Type.

7. gtrgeek335

gtrgeek335 Member

I have run my '68 Bassman into an 8 ohm 1x12" cab for years without issue.

Gordon

8. Michael Hunter

Michael Hunter Supporting Member

I built a blackface Bassman clone a few months back that I've been running through a 4 ohm WGS ET90. Sounds great!

ROKY likes this.
  9. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I ran my Blackface in a 1x12 combo. Used an Eminence Red Fang.

SixStringInMyHand likes this.
  10. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

be careful playing a guitar through those- theyre designed for bass guitars. you blow out the sparkle part of your speakers and the warmness of your speaker cable.

seajay, stratotastic and Lobotomie like this.
  11. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

The iron is big enough that it could probably handle running 8ohms (not idea, obviously...) but running at 16ohms would be bad news.
    Why not find an old bassman cab to match? I did that, and I LOVE it!

12. ROKY

ROKY Member

I'll bet it does ! WGS offers many of their 12" speakers w/ a 4 ohm option .

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  13. MissoulaGriz

MissoulaGriz Member

I will frequently run my '67 Bassman through an 8ohm 1X12 just for home practice. Sounds pretty dang good and due to the ohm miss-match, you can drive the amp a little harder and not blow your brains out with volume. You lose some dynamics due to the miss-match and that becomes highly apparent the instant you plug into a 4 ohm speaker. But overall, I'd totally gig my Bassman with an 8ohm 1X12. In a heartbeat.

I've done a TON of speaker combinations and swaps with the Bassman for my 2X12 and what I've personally found is that the ET65 is my favorite speaker for this amp and my needs. The cleans are brilliant and sparkly and there's just enough "greenback" lineage in its DNA that the overdrive tone is fantastic. What I've found, for overdrive, with this particular amp and speaker is using a TS9 adds a nice mid-hump that really fills out the spectrum, especially for standing out in a band setting. Also, because the ET65 is considered one of WGS' warmest speakers, running the bright switch "ON" with the bassman and the treble down to about 4, bass at 2, you don't get that high end fizz that just kills a lot of amps that have an internal bright cap.

Great amps....WGS makes phenomenal speakers and the fact you can order one at 4ohms for the same price (I think) is amazing.

14. kimock

kimock Member

Bassman, Bandmaster, Dual Showman, Twin, they're all totally fine on an 8 ohm load.
    Sound great, run forever.

The mismatch is functional in a good way, you knock down the output power 30% or so, smooth the amp out a bit.
    If you want the big clean, just plug in another 8 ohm speaker and the extra power, extra speaker, and power handling puts you right where you want to be.

Three 8 ohm speakers on any of those 4 ohm Fenders sounds great too.
    I'd encourage you to experiment with the speakers you have before you chase a 4 ohm 12.
    I'll bet you find some combinations you really like.

15. kimock

kimock Member

It's reall, really, hard to fry a Fender with impedance mismatch.
    I tried to do it with a 2 ohm Super Reverb into a 16 ohm 2x12, and I ran the thing dimed for months before I finally got tired of the sound and gave up.
    8 ohm load on a 4 ohm Fender is absoulutely no problem.

everyday and stratotastic like this.
  16. stratotastic

stratotastic Member

Thanks everyone so far.
    I have considered grabbing an original 2x12 to go with it, they're just a beast to lug around.
    Nice endorsement. I'm leaning in that direction if I stick with the 1x12. I'm actually playing the Bassman through the G12-65 speakers of my old Marshall combo for now till I get things set up, and I love those speakers for just about anything. From what I've heard from the ETs, sound pretty close.

Now that I think of it, most of what I have are in the 25-30-watt range, so at least for the 1x12 option I'll have to re-supply sooner than later.

17. kimock

kimock Member

You'll be ok for a minute with 30 watts at 8 ohms.
    The older Fender amps were optimistically rated, "music power" they called it.
    As stout as those Bassman's are, assuming you were actually making 50 watts the mismatch puts you down around 34 watts, which is doable if you don't beat the thing wide open all night.

everyday and stratotastic like this.
  18. PFunk

PFunk Member

I've run my '68 into a 112 EVM cab for more times than I can count and it still sounds great- I prefer the Bass channel, while never having a problem. These days, a smaller amp fits the bill better but it's fun to pull this one out- especially at larger venues.

19. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

:confused:

stratotastic likes this.
  20. pappafox

pappafox Member

I run a single 4 ohm Jensen Tornado in a '66 Pro Reverb. Sounds fantastic, and knocked off quite a few pounds.