Anyone running into analog before the board?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by MikeNiteRail, Feb 9, 2012.

1. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

I have a man-crush on Tchad Blake and his work with the Black Keys. I love everything from the vocals to the drums! He likes to add an analog feel to everything via a plug-in (Decapitator) or Sans Amp.

This got me thinking about using digital modelling live (and when recording at home). For those of you going direct, do you add analog to your chain to warm things up?

I have a POD HD500 and really bought it wanting to use a lot of the 2.0 update - I want the bass amp and mic pre!

Is the lack of analog even noticeable live??? Do you find that inserting analog warmth (via pedal, amp, pre, etc) helps your sound or just becomes too much?

Thanks!

2. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

For recording I sometimes use a modeller for guitar.
    Before anything hits my Pro Tools system (modeller or not), it's gone through either the analog pre-amps on a vintage Ramsa mixing board or through outboard tube preamps.

Depending on what kind of sound I'm going for, I may run low pass, high pass, & or some type of mild "dirt" plug to shape it.
    I tend not to worry about that live because I usually don't use a modeller live.