Anyone sand the finish down on the neck of a 62 Hot Rod Strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cg, Sep 3, 2008.

1. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I love my 62. I only wish the neck had a more raw feel to it. I know, I know... play it nonstop for 30 years and when I'm 70, I'll have what I am looking for.

I am not that patient. :)

Has anyone removed the finish on their neck? Is it difficult or fraught with risk?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  2. DamianL

DamianL Member

OOO wire wool is your friend. :AOK

3. acwild

acwild Member

I haven't taken it down to the wood, but I've used a burgandy ScotchBrite pad to degloss the finish. Works great, fast, and is polishable if you don't like the feel. After playing regularly for a week, it seems to get glossy again so I repeat the process. Eventually it'll go down to the wood, but in the meantime, I get the feel and I can always change my mind. Jmho.

4. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Supporting Member

My recommendation - get the $12 set of micromesh pads from stew mac. Start with one of the mid-to-higher grits and wet sand a spot until it roughs up a bit, wipe it off and see how you like the feel. If you like the feel, do the whole neck. But if you want even more satin/less gloss, go to the next rougher grit and repeat. If you went a little too rough, move up to the next finer grit. The beauty of this is that since you're taking off such a small amount of finish you can, if you want or need to, work back up to the finest grit and it will restore the gloss as if you never did anything. It works in a similar fashion to wool/sandpaper but you have a range of choices of 'roughness' and if you need to gloss it back up, you'll have what you need to do so.

5. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    Mine came with a 'satin' finished neck. Feels pretty raw - certainly not glossy.:confused:

6. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

The satin still feels like a finish to me, and over time satin gets real glossy as your hand polishes it. If you love the guitar, I'd sand it down with some sand paper. It'd be real easy since you only have to do the back and the finish isn't real thick. If your neck moves a lot with the weather changes, I wouldn't do it though!

7. VintageKnob

VintageKnob Supporting Member

I had 3 HR's with my last one I just took some 0000 steel wool and buffed it up a bit.
    Felt great. Avoid getting the steel wool filings on the pups, PITA to get off.

- D

8. Aardvark

Aardvark Silver Supporting Member

Easy way to avoid this problem is by covering the pickups with masking tape. When done with the steel wool, you may see filings holding on to the masking tape at the pole pieces. Just cover that strip of tape with one more before removing, so that the filings are sandwiched between the tape, rather than falling back onto your pole pieces.

9. VintageKnob

VintageKnob Supporting Member

and there you go!

good one