Anyone seen Styx lately?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by les strat, May 27, 2013.

1. les strat

les strat Member

I am taking my 7 yr old to see them Friday night as they are one of his favorite bands, and I really dug them when I was younger. Just wondering how the performance was if you've seen them recently (I know, no DeYoung).
    Thanks.

2. daa2202

daa2202 Silver Supporting Member

The recent Styx concert on Palladia was terrific. He (and you) won't be disappointed.

3. rob2001

rob2001 Member

As long as Tommy is there I'm sure it will be entertaining. I think he's a super talented guy.

4. les strat

les strat Member

Awesome! I have heard the Palladia concert was great, but have yet to catch it. Wish DeYoung was still in.

Thanks.

5. les strat

les strat Member

Yes he is. On the "Rush vs Styx" thread going on, someone said JY's playing was smoking lately as well. I have high hopes!

6. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Yes, they played the club I work at last year. I was completely blown away. I've got the whole show on DVD, with a board mix, and it is flawless. I wish I could post it...

7. RobJ

RobJ Gold Supporting Member

Saw them in the Myrtle Beach HOB in Feb. They were excellent. You'll have a great time.

8. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I'm not sure how old it was but I saw a DVD of them playing with an orchestra. It's probably 10 years old by now but those guys were in TOP form. JY was playing crazy good and had great tones. Tommy was Tommy and seemed to have a more raw tone going on.

9. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

They're excellent. You won't miss Dennis a bit IMHO.

10. les strat

les strat Member

I always dug Tommy's playing and thought he was underrated as a guitarist. The solo on "Half Penny, Two Penny" is just smoking - just couldn''t be better. I also like how he uses his wah for tone not just for "wacka-wacka wah wah", lol. He cocks it back for woman tone and plays a lot in the middle part of the sweep to get that cry. Love it.

11. ddeand

ddeand Member

I'm an old hippie (well beyond the Styx generation), but a couple years ago, I took three of my kids to see Foreigner, Kansas, and Styx do an arena (well, half an arena) show. All three bands were great, but Styx just aced it. It was a time machine trip for all of us - we just loved it. While we kinda did that concert as a nostalgic joke, we were totally entertained and impressed and wildly entertained. And Styx was so damn good! I'd love to see them again. You and your son will have a super time!

12. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I dug that concert.

Without Dennis Deyoung, they've got more of a rockin' sound. Everyone looked and played great for their age.

13. voodoochile

voodoochile Member

saw them last weekend or so in St Louis. They ROCKED, sounded great, worked the crowd nicely, and the set list was everything it needed to be. They covered a lot of ground in their set, spanning most of their career, thankfully skipping over Mr. Roboto. I would definitely see them again...

14. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

They look great on that newish concert DVD, they play
    Crystal Ball and Pieces of Eight back to back.

15. les strat

les strat Member

Thanks! I am sure he will! He is so pumped about it. He's like mini-me around 1980. Wish I could have seen them back then.

16. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

The current line up puts on a fantastic show. You all are going to have a great time.

17. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Saw them 3-4 years ago in our town...Kansas opened for them.
    They blew Kansas off the stage :eek: ...it was an incredible show.

S.
    j

18. HendrixVibrato

HendrixVibrato Have some experience... Silver Supporting Member

Agreed - Styx is kicking major @ss.

Tommy is in fine form, as are th erest - and Todd is KILLING the drums, just as he has bveen for years & years now, good grief!!

Just about anyone will dig the Styx show.

19. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

When they had that Styx skyscraper in Chicago, they must have been making more money than just about anybody. Whatever happened to that place? I'm pretty shure nobody in that original line-up (with Tommy, not the previous guitarist) ever needed another dime in their lifetime.

Just found this concert in Mn this year. The sound is really good. Video is so-so, but not bad. This must have been an amazing show.