Anyone seen the Gil Yaron Bone '59 yet?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by DM426, Jan 24, 2015.

1. DM426

DM426 Member

If you're already familiar with the Yaron Bone I, this is a bit different. It doesn't have the light wood core, it's solid like a LP. In fact, it's very much like a 59 LP but it looks different.

Would love to hear one of these. I was just wondering if anyone has ordered one yet? I bet Pete T. gets one...

These are the only pics I've seen so far. Perhaps Gil will post some more in this thread. The one pictured here is gorgeous!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And for the sake of comparison, here is the original Bone I.

[​IMG]

Crimson Queen likes this.
  2. Timmo

Timmo Member

3. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

Great looking guitars except for the dot inlays. They kind of ruin it for me. Anyone know why he opted for them?

aroman likes this.
  4. '59_Standard

'59_Standard Member

Because they look better. ;)

GuitarNorton and pressure like this.
  5. DamianL

DamianL Member

Yeah it's blocks all the way for me too...

I would rather have it blank than dots on an LP style

lifeson1 and Rod like this.
  6. DM426

DM426 Member

I have not talked to Gil regarding the inlays, but I believe I remember reading somewhere that he prefers the dots as they ensure there is more actual wood on the fretboard. Not sure how much of an effect they have on tone, if any. Gil would be the man to answer that.

However, I asked Cliff (from DAG) about it a while back and he speculated Gil might be open to building a Bone 59 with larger, more traditional inlays if someone asked for them. But again, I haven't put the question to Gil so I don't know his position on that.

I think it looks wonderful as is. But I photoshopped on some traditional burst inlays just to see what it would look like, and IMHO it did give this same guitar even more of a vintage feel with the larger inlays.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    GuitarNorton likes this.
  7. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

Would love to fondle one of those. That and the Bartlett retrospec.

So many great builders but those are two I think about often if money was disposable.

8. DM426

DM426 Member

From what I've been told, the Bartlett Retrospec and the Yaron Bone 59 are in the same ballpark as far as their overall feel and build quality.

I'm not greedy, I just want to own one of each.

rocknrollshakeup likes this.
  9. supersonic1414

supersonic1414 Silver Supporting Member

He has offered this since day one of the Bone introduction. I just don't think people really want to combine the 2, as they either want a 59 or the Bone , with what Gil considers the improvements over a 59. He definitely does not recommend or push it, but will make it if people truly want one.

10. beorn

beorn Member

One variation he doesn't offer, but that I think would be interesting, would be the 59 look with the Bone internal construction.

11. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I thought one of the the drivers of the Yaron sound, even on LP replicas, was the lightwood core. The powlina caputures the resonance of old mahogany angle. So I'm confused...

12. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

One thing is for sure. Gil has some of the most gorgeous maple on this earth.

enharmonic likes this.
  13. mxk116

mxk116 Silver Supporting Member

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your comment but Gil only uses a Paulownia core for the Bone guitars (other than the Bone '59). His LPs are solid old growth mahogany as are the bodies of the Bone guitars before they are milled for the Paulownia core.

14. DM426

DM426 Member

As far as I know, the original a Bone I is the only design that gets the Paulownia core. The bursts he did as well as the Bone 59 are solid. Now it's possible he made a few that were chambered if someone asked for that, but I hadn't heard of him putting Paulownia into a vintage-style burst.

At first, I wasn't too sure of the Bone shape as I love the look of the old LPs. But over time I've really come to appreciate it. I won't do it just yet, but I plan to eventually get Gil to do a a bone 59 for me. And if he'll do it, I would like to have larger inlays on it.

There's not a doubt in my mind that Bone pictured above is an absolutely killer guitar. Would love to hook that up to an old JMP.

15. preeb

preeb Member

Each build is unique and they come with a long list of options including the classic inlays.
    A typical Bone-I will come with a Paulownia core, wraparound Resomax bridge and AirGap HB's, while the Bone-59 is identical to a late 50's LP std with the same parts and PAF's (but with a stronger HS, better TR, easier access to cutaway and better ergonomics).
    Some players prefer to mix the attributes and use dots on a Bone-59 or an ABR-1/STP on a Bone-I, AirGaps on a Bone-59.. etc.. it's all about what the player needs or wishes to experiment with, and the options are many.

As for my personal preferences from a player's point of view I prefer the cleanest fingerboard possible without binding and with minimal dot inlays, just like an early '58 dot neck ES-335. The Brazilian RW used on the Bone line is extremely figured, rare and precious so I see no reason inlaying 30% of the surface with the blocks just because they look fancy. I prefer the natural wood to speak out for itself and I agree about having no inlays at all... but that may be a problem for some including myself (-;
    I also consider those instruments as working tools so simplicity and tone will always come first in my book.
    Sure, I can do the Bone with massive multi-layer binding, big fancy board inlays, tree of life abalone on the HS, gold hardware and new growth perfectly book-matched 5A super 3D quilted maple top... but I don't think it will sound any better and TMO not look better as well.

If history counts, we should also give a second thought trying to understand why the most sought after designs were the simple ones and not the high-end fancy stuff. Tele, Early Strats, Dot neck 335's, LP standard, D-18's, P Bass.. etc.. those simple designs have the biggest footprint with both players and collectors.
    It's mainly about the bond of the instrument with the player AS IT GETS PLAYED that creates the magic.. simplicity is pure.

LPV, the_Chris, Gilky and 2 others like this.
  16. autologic

autologic Member

17. mxk116

mxk116 Silver Supporting Member

Baemer likes this.
  18. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

For those of you on TGP who don't know, the reply above is from Gil himself. His ID name on the forums is "Preeb". Great explanation, BTW (and I agree).

19. jimpridx

jimpridx Supporting Member

20. DM426

DM426 Member

Gil has been making these for a while now. Has anyone had an opportunity to play the Bone 59 and compare it to the sound of a Les Paul? Also, has anyone tried a Bone H yet?