Anyone seen the new Egnater?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by csparks75, Feb 22, 2008.

1. csparks75

csparks75 Member

I saw a video of Bruce demoing the Egnater Tourmaster 4100, but I was wondering if anyone here has actually seen/played one and what their impression was...it's cheaper than my Roadster that I foolishly sold, so it might be an alternative.

Thanks!

2. Slaphappy

Slaphappy Member

3. csparks75

csparks75 Member

Stoopid, N00bs....always forgetting to search first. :crazy

Thanks for the link! :)

4. Mitchybang

Mitchybang Member

I think he sold out. I walked into Guitar Center the other day to pick up some strings and there was a brand new Tourmaster half stack and a 2x12 combo. When did GC start selling Egnater stuff?

5. csparks75

csparks75 Member

You can only buy this one from GC. It's made in China. :(

6. Slaphappy

Slaphappy Member

7. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

You can't blame the guy for trying to reach more people. He's in business after all.

8. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

Saw one at the Greenwood, IN GC today... didnt have time to sit and play it! DANG IT!!! Also about the selling out, are you kidding? I thought Bruce had deals with several different companies in the past. Why would this be any different? Thats really a question too, why would this be considered selling out as compared to his partnership with Randall or Rocktron? I think Rocktron... isnt that one of the amps he had a deal with?

9. Mike Dresch

Mike Dresch Silver Supporting Member

Yes, Bruce did have a deal with Rocktron and currently has one with Randall. FWIW, the Rocktron Egnater TOL100 was a great sounding head, and one I still wish I had. I own a Randall RM4 and a RT2/50 complete with four modules, all of which Bruce designed. All are killer pieces.

If you don't like the Tourmaster because it's made in China, well, Bruce also makes the MOD series of amps made right here in the good 'ol USA. It's more coin, but that's what being made in America is going to cost. I'm glad there's both options available. One for those where money is no object and one for the rest of us.

10. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

Hey guys, be careful throwing around terms like "selling out." Bruce is a real person, and he's a great guy. He works really hard to make great sounding innovative reliable amps. If he now has the opportunity to introduce a larger production run of lower cost amps, this is not selling out - this is putting a good sounding amp in reach of more players.

No one who knows Bruce would ever accuse him of "selling out" - that's honestly just ridiculous.

11. Brain2Me2

Brain2Me2 Member

You can always buy a Mod50...I'm 100% positive he isn't a "sell out". It's just business.

You can always look at it from the bright side...it's the only 4 channel "boutique like" amp, for less than half the cost of others. Well you know all of its other features.

12. Madsman

Madsman Member

It's no different than Fender having import and domestic instruments. He's trying to make an amp available to those who aren't going to spend $2800 on a head, etc. That's not a bad thing. I'm sure he isn't worried about his products competing with each other, and I also assume he's not planning on getting out of the amp making business anytime soon. So you can still buy his boutique stuff, and let people who want a 4 channel tube amp without big compromises have their product. Fine by me...

13. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Played it yesterday. Didn't get into it as I had a SLO int he car I just bought.
    So, need more time.
    The cleans were great! Very good. The two gain channels didn't quite hit me right. As I said, I need more time with it. Lots of usebale options it appears.
    Cleans were good!

14. Mike Dresch

Mike Dresch Silver Supporting Member

Agreed on all points. Bruce is class. He has always answered emails I've had on products I've owned (or do own) even if he didn't build them. He also personally modified my TOL100 (Rocktron version) and sent an extra set of tubes due to the fact that I had to wait a little longer to get it back. You'll never hear me say a negative word about Bruce. I can't wait to check out the Tourmaster, and hopefully one day, a Mod series.

15. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Egnater is first class, Jeff and Frank too. All good folks over there. I have had a bunch of their stuff. My MOD 50 is never going anywhere. This amp the Tourmaster and the next one, the EL84/6V6 based single channel Rebel will be great affordable Egnater designed tone machines for those in the market for a nice amp in that price range. The Rebel will be out soon too at about $500.

16. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

+1000 3 Mile! Always fantastic service from the boys and my Mod 50 will never go anywhere either. Love those guys and can't wait to try the Rebel. I am waiting for a 112 from Jeff to match my Mod 50..........can't wait!!

17. k_kush

k_kush Member

+1000

18. K.E.P.

K.E.P. Supporting Member

To me in regards to this situation, sell out is too strong.

It's marketing 101 in its purest form.

You have a quality brand, but it's really only available at first to a select few with decent pockets. You design two well thought out amps to:
    1) Make Your Brand more accessible to the general public (average joe)
    2) Increase your brand Awareness
    3) Make a living

I think the Egnater camp is doing all three, and in the process Bruce will:
    1) Get average joes into his product with the possibility of moving to flagship product later down the road
    2) Make more money have more time which includes extra R&D on new amps, more time with family and more time for hands on stuff with custom amp build classes.

If I were an amp builder, and this was "selling out," count me in, or out:)

I have never met Bruce, nor have one of his amps (I will when the rebel comes out). What I can tell you is that he is laying the groundwork for growth with his partnerships and distribution deals.