Anyone sell set-neck parts?!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by markom89, Feb 20, 2008.

1. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I've been trying to find someone who'd be willing to sell some seperate parts for a guitar that I'd really like to build. I'd like a body in the style of either an SG, or a carved top tele, and I'd like to have it w/ a set neck, instead of a bolt on. Is there *anyone* that will sell these parts to me? I've asked many times before, asked all the well known parts companies, and no one is able to do this... what's the big deal? If anyone has any info on this, PLEASE let me know/post in this thread.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Marko M.

2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

i'd love to know as well. I mean you could make some REALLY cool les pauls this way if you were so inclined. Doing a set neck job is not that big of a deal for an experienced luthier/tech, if given the parts. I mean, tech's do re-sets all the time, and that must be much more difficult.

i'm gonna lay back and see how this goes.... b/c i'd love to do a jimmy page black beauty clone...

3. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I know! Tell me about it, man.
    People wouldn't be limited to ONLY building strats and teles, and LP stlye guitars with bolt on necks!
    So many more possibilities.
    That JP BB clone idea sounds killer, btw.

4. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

5. phantasm

phantasm Member

Does, carvin make those neck through blanks for Stew mac? Hell, buy one directly from Carvin and save $50.

The only thing i've ever seen as far as a set neck kit has been on the Grizzly Industrial site. Not much a choice there either and i've heard a few TGPers poo poo on the quality of them.

6. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

7. dharmafool

dharmafool Member

Maybe USACG or Guitar Mill or the like can do their bodies with NO neck pocket rout -- would this be adequate as a starting point?

And Soulmate Guitars makes custom necks: set, bolt and through-

Just a thot

8. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

9. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Oh yeah, The other thing you could do I suppose would be to glue a heal onto a regular bolt style neck like Warmoth or the others sell. You could also order a complementary body and have them leave out the holes for neck bolt up. Then machine a neck pocket to accept your completed neck. It could be done if you have the necessary skills. Any of Warmoths stuff, for instance could be modified for use this way without to much trouble by the builder if set neck is desired.
    Best Regards!

10. stratrat2000

stratrat2000 Member

SoulMate guitars make and sell set necks, but no bodies. Looks like quality stuff. He does through-necks too.

11. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Cool, thanks alot, stratrat2000! Those actually look pretty good!
    Now.... If I could find some bodies!

12. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

those soulmate necks look awesome!

13. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

I can't speak for the Grizzly kits' quality, tho I do recall someone building one & being happy with it. I'm guessing the hardware is pretty low end, but the wood does look nice & the really hard work has been done for you- routing, fretboard, bridge placement, etc.

What I will tell is that their price is great. When I've built guitars, starting with rough lumber, I end up spending close to $500, just for materials. To have someone put the labor in, to get the parts to the level of the Grizzly kits (typical, mostly hand-built), yer looking at at least 20 hours of work. At $10/hr (CHEAP). Looks to me like a (minimum) $700 value for $375 + S & H. Not bad, IMO.

Depending on your woodworking skills/experience, if you're wanting to build a set neck, I'd highly recommend the Grizzly kit.