Anyone sell/ship guitar from N America to Croatia?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jzucker, Mar 19, 2019.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I'm assuming wire transfer is the safest method?

Any thoughts or pitfalls before I agree on the transaction?

2. mabinogeon

mabinogeon A really hoopy frood. Silver Supporting Member

Hard pass on that. I'd wait for a State-side seller.

If the guitar has any type of rosewood on it, you'll have to pay for expensive CITES permits.

Of all the guitars I've sold, the two times international sellers reached out to me, they were scammers.

8len8 likes this.
  3. jzucker

it doesn't have rosewood, it's mahogany, maple and pau ferro

4. jzucker

also, what risk is it to me if I get wire transfer and wait a week for clearance? According to articles I have read, once the transfer shows up in my account, it cannot be reversed.

5. PierreL

PierreL Supporting Member

Thats what I would say as well. If it's on your account (and cleared), it can't be reclaimed.
    There are honest guitar players in Croatia as well...

6. jzucker

another alternative would be to conduct the whole transaction through reverb which would end up costing me about $180 but I would get full protection against any type of scam. since the guy originally contacted me via a reverb ad, I was already planning on giving them their 3.5% cut but the bank transfer would save me another 3%

7. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched

No but I spent 2 weeks in Croatia and was losing my mind because I couldn't find a single guitar to play

8. take1carry1

take1carry1 Supporting Member

Hey...dude.... there's no such thing as "Croatia". It's an imaginary country the media invented.

9. vltjd

vltjd Supporting Member

One potential problem is customs. You know it's pau ferro but customs might not be so certain. Another could be the VAT, although that's the purchaser's concern.

As for payment, wait for your bank to provide assurance the money will remain yours.

What shipper will you use? Someone wanted me to send an inexpensive guitar to Malaysia and wanted a particular shipper. Researching the cost cancelled the deal.

10. jzucker

i think the deal's off. There are just too many red flags with sending someone you don't know your name, address, account#, routing # and swift number. There is nothing stopping someone from selling your information and from then using it to steal money from your account. It can also be done via the information on your checks but the swift numbers gives additional electronic withdrawal options...

mabinogeon likes this.
  11. leshogan

leshogan Member

Cost about $150 to ship an 8lb guitar in a hard case to Europe. Have to watch out for the fingerboard and CITES treaty. Rosewood is restricted from import in several countries.

Ebay/Paypal and Reverb are your friends; good protections. Reverb offers their own financing also... How're Croatian Customs? Priority Mail International will get to Customs in about 8 or 9 days unless you pay more for express deliveries. Fedex and UPS are more like $250-$300 for European shipping.

What are you looking for? Send me a pm if seriously looking to buy a specific piece of gear.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019