Anyone sold to Japan before?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Jerrod, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

A fellow from Japan wants to buy a guitar of mine. What's the best payment form? Anything to be cautious of?

2. matte

matte Senior Member

Sure have. Wire transfer of funds is my MO. Don't ship until the loot is clearly in your account.

If the guitar is valued at over 2.5Gs, there some ball sugery comparable paperwork to fill out as well.

3. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Matte,
    Would you mind PMing me or e-mailing plexicrunch AT hotmail DOT com? I have a couple questions. Thanks muchly.

Jerrod

4. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

They also have paypal in japan ...
    the other ways. Western Union, Int. Money order or Cashier check, wire transfer .. all of those work.
    If you accept credit card even that could work.

to ship.
    Best / Cheapest way is USPS / EMS
    Make sure you fit the dimensions the require, always a tricky thing, I am usually able to convince my post office to take the package. You can ship it cheap by Regular airmail or for a little more EMS express. Is about half the cost of UPS or FedEx.

g'luck.

5. Chris Hall

Chris Hall Member

Japanese Postal Money Orders are ok, but, your bank will charge you up to $25 to cash each one. I believe that the maximum $ amount for each is $500. So on a $2000 guitar you'll be hit with $100 in bank fees.

Good luck!

6. jjhboots

jjhboots Member

I am in the process of a transaction now. Fortunately the buyer in Tokyo has done business with a few of the moderators of this forum and he has an excellent reputation. Its nice to be able to check up on your buyer to minimize potential problems.

7. fatback

fatback Member

I sent a Lentz to Japan a couple of months ago. Because it was over 2.5 K I had to fill out a govt. form and fax it to get a clearance #. A small hassle, it took a couple of hours for them to get back to me. It would have been nice to know about that before I went to ship the package though.:rolleyes:

8. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

I sold my '64 strat to a fellow in Japan (Osaka, I think). It was quite a few years ago, but I remember it going smoothly. Wire transfer was the payment method.

9. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

I just sold a PRS singlecut to Japan, m first time. He paid me with japanese postal money orders, which my bank took, no charge so far, but it took awhile to clear.

I sent it USPS international priorty insured. EMS service. Took 4 days to get it to his hands from US. Yes please make sure you look up online the max dimensions for the box. Width, height, girth.

It was really easy, and for a first time very smooth, I never shipped there before although I have bought some guitars from there. Was easy, so I would do it again.

10. El Kabong

El Kabong Member

I live in Japan. Wire transfer may be the best bet for a high ticket item. The $40 cost is negligible at that point.

Sometimes, Japan Post wishes to hold on to a money order for a few days to make some interest. I have had a money order take 3 weeks to be sent and cleared in Canada.

I have also sent money orders all over North America without any extra fees attached to the seller, arriving in a timely manner.

I have always asked the seller to use US Mail, Global Express. I usually get guitars in 4 days from the US with a charge of about $110, including insurance.

I have never had an issue, other what has been stated.

11. tradarama

tradarama www.PRIMEGUITARS.com Silver Supporting Member

I agree that the wire is the way to go. I don't doubt that a cashier's check or money order is ok but you have no way to know if it's a fake. With a reputable dealer it should be ok but then again a wire should be ok for them too. Shipping wasn't atronomical either. I've had everything go well.

Just be extra clear on the condition etc so that you don't end up sending the thing back and forth.

Poor Matte...his old Baker Cloud 9 is somewhere over there right now. I should never have sold that.

Another route I've gone is to sell to Harvey's guitars. I think he's still around. He's a very good guy who used to operate a store in Japan. I believe he's in the Atlanta area. He pays more than fair prices and you ship to him. Very honest guy who doesn't try to renegotiate after getting your gear.

12. dave251

dave251 Member

Credit cards are the least expensive. And Japan does PayPal. Very reliable way to transfer funds. About 3% of the total. Wire transfer costs both parties. I sell to Singapore quite regularly, and will only accept a wire transfer from there. Cost on my end is $11 per transaction, but the buyer pays MUCH more.

13. whitehall

whitehall Member

Paypal all the way. I would stay away from western union . Most of the blantant foreign ripoffs insist on it.

14. tjensen

tjensen Member

I've sold a bunch of guitars to Japan, as well as Hong Kong, Australia, etc.

If you use Paypal on an overseas transaction, you expose yourself to HUGE risks.

First off, the fees are 4%.

More importantly, Paypal's seller protection plan DOES NOT APPLY on most overseas sales.

If an overseas Paypal buyer wants to hit you with a chargeback - essentially reverse the payment on most any grounds he can think of - you have no recourse whatsover.

In short, you're screwed if some scheming scumbag tells Paypal the goods were never received, damaged, etc. He has your guitar AND gets his money back, while you're SOL.

Insist on a bank wire transfer or give money orders/cashier's checks a couple of weeks to clear before you sell.

Tom

15. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

Amen! Great post Tom!!

16. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I have; no issues. Check references and follow your gut.

17. laiben

laiben Member

I have opposite experience: I send the money by paypal, and nothing arrive. I report that to paypal and they said yes this is a scam. That is. No refund.. Nothing else.

Fortunately, that was not a guitar. But I lost $40 for the lesson.

I would ask the seller to use escorw.com if it is a high dollars purchase, and I will cover the escorw fee...

laiben

18. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

ok recyling this msg.

I have shipped guitars to Japan through EMS, with no problems.

A buyer I know wants to buy a guitar from me that costs more than 5K (the limit of insurance with USPS), so I have to use UPS.

I have never used UPS, so I know there are alot more forms. I'm not a store, so I don't know all the details. Also the forms want my social insurance # for tax purposes? is this a way IRS can track you?

thanks all for the help

19. BJ Yoon

BJ Yoon Member

I live in Korea and I have bought some gears from Forum members before (when it was PRS Gear Forum) with no problem. I have paid by PayPal or MO. And about shipping, EMS was faster and smoother in my experience.
    Regarding PayPal refund, I have an experience getting my money back when Blues Paerl Amps went out of business.

20. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    I assume this is referring to Western Union money orders.
    If so, I agree.

In contrast, Western Union Money Transfer is likely the SAFEST way to receive money if you're a seller.

I can't think of ANY other method that allows you to be paid from someone anywhere in the world, and you can walk out of an office (Western Union, obviously, there's probably one at your local grocery store) with cash within hours with ABSOLUTELY no risk of chargebacks (even if they pay you using a credit card).

That level of security is unmatched in ANY other method.

And the buyer (depending on what country they live in) can pay you online (www.westernunion.com), in person at a Western Union office (245,000 locations worldwide), or by phone.

More info here:
    http://www.westernunion.com/info/osCompareMoneyMessage.asp