Anyone solely using tap tempo to set tremolo? (Matthews Effects Conductor)

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
I just bought a Matthews Effects "The Conductor" tremolo because I tried one at a shop a month back and remembered it sounded really good. I didn't buy it that day because I wasn't sure I could live with tap tempo only as a means to set the rate. It arrived today, and I am still unsure. I have an Empress with tap tempo also, but I basically always use my rate knob on all the trems I own or have owned. The Conductor only has tap tempo, no rate knob.

The waves, tone filter, and preamp (sounds amazing with the depth all the way off as a clean boost) all sound good, but I'm not sure I can deal with just the tap. The div knobs lets you set it 1/4, 1/2, x1, x2, x4 of the tapped rate, but I'm not sure I will be able to get the rate I want live.

I know a lot of trems have tap, but is anyone using tap only to set their rate? Are you comfortable with it?

NHBluesMan

not currently, but i have in the past. Worked nicely at the time, but then i realized i didn't need things perfectly synced up and preferred just setting it roughly (fast/slow/medium etc). i think if you play around with it some you should be ok with it after a while

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
That's what I'm thinking too. I just like the idea of having a sine, triangle, and square wave all in a single pedal with top jacks. I have a Tremolessence, but it is only square and triangle. My Throbby is awesome, but on some board setups, I really need the top jacks to get everything on the Pedaltrain Jr.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I am in a similar situation. I have an H9 and want to setup patches for songs that include tremolo. I can set the patch for the bpm for the song, but what is the strategy for the subdivision to make the tremolo sound natural and not robotic?

Dr.Lee

I have a Cusack Tap-A-Whirl and never touch the rate control. I use tap tempo anytime I use the effect.

Steve Hotra

Gold Supporting Member
My first tremolo was the Boss model.
Then I discovered the Diamond with tap tempo.
Now its a part of my playing.
Glad I decided to get that feature.

phazersonstun

I'm using an Empress Trem2.
I really only use tap. I have an external tap switch connected to both the trem & my FBX4.

I love that I can tap in the right tempo before I need it while the pedal is off.

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Are you guys tapping the tempo 1:1 or at what ratio? It seems easiest for me to tap x2, or 1:2. That way there is a pulse of tremolo between each beat and it sounds more musical, while still being in time.

Gibs210

Just changed trems, used my shape shifter in tap tempo mode only, can't say I've ever used the rate control on it. Looking to use the vertigo in the same way.

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
The Conductor doesn't have one, only 1/4, 1/2, x1, x2, x4.

gearhead todd

+1 on triplet division. I have used my Flint set to triplet divisions and it works best for the whole show on any tempo I tap in. It seems to sound the most natural of the synced divisions. But sometimes a more rhythmic tremolo is what you want and you can set it for something on the beat if you want. It seems a little strange The conductor has 5 division options but no triplet. Another option for tremolos with a tap out jack (but lacking division choices) would be to use something like the Selah Quartz Timer which is a multiple out tap tempo pedal. It has midi and trs tap outs-- and one of the trs tap outs can be programed to send out many different tap divisions including triplet. It can control all you your tempo pedals too.

Last edited:

Cerpin Taxt

I have the EHX Super Pulsar, and besides tapping the tempo, one of the foot switches will scroll thru the tempo subdivisions. No bending down required. Not to mention it has presets.

wbm68

interestingly I recently figured out why I don't like setting the tremolo speed with tap tempo. In my case the "1" is not at the right spot rhythmically with tap tempo. I mean it is technically correct, but to me the "1" should be on an up-swell to sound correct, and the tap tempo "1" puts it mathematically correct at a different spot than I find "normal" sounding.

Dr.Lee

On the version of the TAW I have you can ramp up and ramp down to max speed simply by holding down the tap...very handy (And a cool musical effect too!)
I have version 3. I don't know if I have the option or not. I will have to try that when I get home!

Tap tempo all the way for me. Although I do have the moogerfooger ring mod and love the stutter Trem you can get from it.

phazersonstun

I agree with the triplets deal.
I've been keeping the Empress set at that ratio and having that option was one of my deciding factors for buying it.

Trending Topics