Anyone spent years searching for the right od pedal only to realize....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mangy71, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Mangy71

Mangy71 Member

.....that you just needed a better amp with a good drive channel?

I have spent the last couple years buying/selling/trading some really nice boutique od/dist pedals. I have been able to get some pretty good sounds, especially stacking some of them, but never quite achieve that natural drive sound that you can get from a good amp.

I'm starting to think that I should buy a better amp & then I probably wouldn't need more than 3 or 4 pedals on my board (tuner, volume, 1 boost/od, delay).

Thoughts? Anyone had a similar journey? If so, what amp did you end up buying?

2. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

Same here. Tried dozens of ODs, never fully satisfied. Got my first fuzz and realized it was what I was looking for.

I play into a solid state amp, so I have to use a dirt pedal (bad monkey) to simulate overdrive while I shop for an amp to take its place

Board will then be:

Fuzz, modulation, analog delay

And it the amp has a nice verb and trem, I'll like just have a variety of boosts and fuzzes to switch through

3. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I dunno, I go through a lot of pedals only to be repeatedly blown away when I plug directly into my amp. Even with all of my pedals off (with true bypass) it never sounds or feels as good as direct.

But I like pedals!

But direct sounds soo good!

Auuuuggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!

*first world problems, I know

4. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

An amp with a great drive channel and a booster to drive it a bit harder is a beautiful thing! For me, sometimes I prefer my OD to be a bit tighter and going with a pedal achieves that. In other words, sometimes I need my overdrive to sound like it's "pedal overdrive".

5. guitarman23

guitarman23 Member

I agree. The pedal search can get ridiculous after a while. I've probably lost a small fortune w/ the buying and selling I've done. Look into Category 5 amps. Don Ritter has been great to work with. I picked up an Andrew about 2 years ago and I can get really good drive w/ the guitar volume knob. I just ordered a new amp they are doing inspired by Warren Haynes w/ will get all of the Gov't Mule tones. I do have an EP booster on my board for a clean boost and a Barber Dual Unlimited to take it into heavier rock (ala Mountain, Mule) territory in a gig. With the new amp on the way I'll probably only need the clean boost/wah/tuner!

6. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Well if you don't' need to play clean then straight into an amp is the only way to fly.

The problem is if you do need to play clean, few amps can do both really well.

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've played a LOT of multichannel amps and I can't really get what I want from one of them. If I want clean, I want basically direct. If I want a lead channel, I can get that in spades. If I want crunch I seem to need either a NMV amp pushed hard, or a pedal. Preamp overdrive just doesn't seem to do crunch very well.

8. justonwo

justonwo Member

A great amp is a must before great pedals. I find that I like overdrive from pre-amp, power amp, and pedals. It just depends on the situation and mood. When I play at home (which is what I do mostly these days) pedals help improve the low volume sound. When playing in a band, I find I like the simplicity of direct into a channel switcher. But the dynamics of a good tube amp are a must for me in any situation.

9. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

For me it was similar, and maybe a different amp could have been the answer, but I ended up with a Kingsley Jouster and it feels like I have a amp with great cleans and and two drive channels. I'm happy with my BF Fenders for my basic amp. The Kingsley's dirt seems to be in a similar family to Fender, so doesn't really feel like I switched to something completely different when I play dirty.

10. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

I use an old Bandmaster Reverb that has been BF'd. I put a Skipzcircuit's Vari-Watt in it (about $60, and fairly easy install). I can set the bandmaster to 7 (which seems to be it's sweet spot) and use the Vari-Watt to adjust the wattage for what ever venue I'm playing (any thing from a small church (50-70 people) to large outdoor stages with pretty much the same tone). It's not exactly the same as playing loud and cranked, but it's as close as I've found to get that sound at lower volumes and still retain the punch, sparkle, dynamics and cleanup of the amp at full volume.

11. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Re: OP...

Yes, but it didn't really take years. I finally am in a place where I can run a Marshall at 10 all day and once you do that, pedals just sound like a pale imitation.

I still use them though because most of the time, I need a cooking amp at speaking levels. Oh well, the 60's are over I guess.