Anyone stack foundation/amp-in-a-box pedals?

Kev O)))

I currently have a v.1 model of the Catalinbread SFT and was thinking of adding a second one to run, obviously at different settings but also at 18v.

Could this work, or would running two identical foundation pedals just become a muddy mess?

Any experience or comments would help.

saltbird

I sometimes stack a Morning Glory with a Superbolt which are both amp in a box pedals.

I've even seen several 2-in-1 morning glory/Superbolt custom builds out there so evidently other guitarists like this happy couple as well.

saltbird

Two identical pedals in series could definitely work. Trust your ears.

I personally would find a different drive that offers other sounds while also marrying well with the SFT, but different strokes.

An audio recording teacher/guru of mine's favorite quote is "If it sounds right, then it's right."

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Silver Supporting Member
I sometimes stack a Morning Glory with a Superbolt which are both amp in a box pedals.

I've even seen several 2-in-1 morning glory/Superbolt custom builds out there so evidently other guitarists like this happy couple as well.
Morning glory is a bluesbreaker (pedal) circuit clone, not an amp.

Ferret

Silver Supporting Member
Snouse Black Box, hard to tell from a Morning Glory in on line A/B comparisons, comes in a double version where you are invited to run one side into the other. Works well for me. But, as PurpleJesus noted, this is like running a bluesbreaker (pedal) into another bluesbreaker. Has nothing to do with any bluesbreaker amp. I'm a bit mystified by people who run a Bearfoot G (Gibson amp inspired) into a Honey Bee (50s Supro inspired.) But you could run a Gibson and Supro in stereo to good effect and, although this isn't the same, it just might give you exactly the sound you want. You aren't breaking any rules and you just might be simulating a hybrid amp that never existed but should have.

Kev O)))

Just to muddy the waters a bit more, would the Catalinbread 5F6 match well with the SFT?

Basically, an old Ampeg with an old Bassman?

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
They're just pedals guys, regardless of what they're trying to emulate. Use you ears and have fun.

DaveKS

Just to muddy the waters a bit more, would the Catalinbread 5F6 match well with the SFT?

Basically, an old Ampeg with an old Bassman?

The only way to know is to try it. But yes I do it all the time, usually stacking a higher gain>lower gain, like a miab into something Fender in a box set to edge of crunch. Depending on how you dial it in it could be sublime or a total mess.

Birds in Hell

A Marshall bluesbreaker is an amp though. What am I not understanding?
I think he means the MG is emulating the 80s/90s Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal, not the Marshall Bluesbreaker amp.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe the original Bluesbreaker pedal is necessarily a dedicated emulation of the Bluesbreaker amp, just an OD voiced roughly in the same ballpark.

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Silver Supporting Member
I think he means the MG is emulating the 80s/90s Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal, not the Marshall Bluesbreaker amp.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe the original Bluesbreaker pedal is necessarily a dedicated emulation of the Bluesbreaker amp, just an OD voiced roughly in the same ballpark.
Yes, exactly that, the MG is a take on the BB circuit; like all of the various TS tweaks/mods on the market. And, what I was saying wasn't a knock on the circuit. The King of Tone is revered beyond revered and based on the Bluesbreaker circuit, also.

KRiffhard

The only way to know is to try it. But yes I do it all the time, usually stacking a higher gain>lower gain, like a miab into something Fender in a box set to edge of crunch. Depending on how you dial it in it could be sublime or a total mess.
Dave KS, your response to Key O(op) was "spot-on" here. I am really puzzled that there isn't more talk around here about stacking into the SFT type foundation overdrives with "Tweed OD's and the Karma Suture (phenomenal all-round tone-shaping pedal) as would be expected. What I think is "most interesting" is really; "what guitar tones are we trying to get?" And, "Can you make it authentic sounding (using pedals), so basically, when it's heard it reflects your style?" Into my Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb, I run my LP and Teles into a Karma Suture-ge ('always on' for tone shaping) -> Lovepedal HPTT ('mostly on' Stones Sticky/Exile recorded tones) -> Catalinbread SFT ('always on' foundation pedal last OD pedal for "live Stones" Ya-Ya's tone). By adjusting the EQ knobs on each just a bit, the variety of "Rolling Stones/Faces/Black Crows/Tom Petty" tones are phenomenal!!! Oh, and for a solo boost I use EP Booster after the SFT for volume lift. Our band mostly creates "original music" in the vein of these bands (where I am the co-songwriter), and it has been incredibly satisfying creatively and as a live performance way to run my setup this way. Again, curious if anyone has tried anything similar to "KS -> Tweed OD -> SFT". Especially for these "tweed/Ya-Yas" tone. ~KeefRiff

Trending Topics

Top Bottom