Anyone still have copies of Guitar Shop Magazine?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Reckedtrek, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Member

I was looking for something ealier and opened up a container in my basement and found about 6 or 7 issues of GuitarShop Magazine (from about 93'-97'??). I LOVED this magazine when it came out, and was pretty sad when they canceled it- anyone else here a GuitarShop fan?

2. Rick Towne

Rick Towne P&W--Praise & Western--on 6, 8 and 12 strings. Silver Supporting Member

Yes, still have them, along with the even more "Country Guitar" issues.

3. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I have them too...only a few Country Guitar though. Guitar Shop was a good read...I wish it had lasted longer. Loved the giant Tele face-off.

John

4. Release

Release Member

I still have a quite a few of 'em.

5. wemedge

wemedge Member

I got 'em too. Yeah, I was sorry when it stopped. Coincidentally, just pulled out the premier issue yesterday while looking though my stash. Good stuff.

cheers,
    wemedge

6. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

yep still have them at my folks' place, they had a review of the fuzz factory in the spam can era - ahead of their time!

7. alguit

alguit Supporting Member

I have a good dozen or so still around-it was such a fun magazine for us gearheads!

My favorite moment is probably an Yngwie piece in which he was attacking, among other things, Steve Morse's vibrato and Joe Satriani's playing. Morse wrote a response letter that was hilarious!

Also, Guitar Shop was where I first read in depth about Matchless amps and nice graphics on name player's rigs...

8. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I love GuitarShop mag, I think it caused me to go into overload on gear acquisition. I have all of the issues. Many great finds in them, turned me onto some excellent gear.

TheGrooveking

9. Kelly

Kelly Member

Somewhere, ya.

10. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Great magazine! I really miss it. My favourite issue is the one with David Gilmour on the cover.

11. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

Premier Guitar definitely reminds me of Guitar Shop. Why did Guitar Shop go under? Too Gearheadish for the public? I hope PG doesn't fall prey to the same circumstances!

12. Big Boss Man

Big Boss Man Member

I have a few. It was my favorite guitar magazine. The internet is making a lot of printed publications obsolete.

13. James

James Member

I used to really like Guitar Shop back when it first came out. I thought it was a great idea but poorly executed. The quality of the writing was dumbed down, targeted for teenagers. (I'm sure teenagers were the target market, but in my opinion that doesn't mean the editorial content/quality has to be dumbed down).

< My favorite moment is probably an Yngwie piece in which he was attacking, among other things, Steve Morse's vibrato and Joe Satriani's playing. Morse wrote a response letter that was hilarious!>

I still have the issues with Malmsteen's ridiculous comments and Morse's response. Morse wrote: &#8220;It&#8217;s always nice to be reminded of the warm camaraderie we share as musicians.&#8221; :rotflmaoIt's in my All-Time Favorite Quotes File.

14. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Member

Yup, I had that one, and one with Hendrix's sunburst strat on the cover and alot of coverage on (duh!) Hendrix. There was a multi effects shootout issue. It was out before and just as the internet was gaining widespread popularity. At the time, HC was (at least seemed to me) to be a pretty useful site and I'm pretty sure had a big part in the undoing of the magazine. But back in the early/mid 90's before we got internet every issue of GuitarShop was like pure gold to me!

15. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Member

I remember reading that, and remember laughing aloud as I read it.

16. Danox3

Danox3 Member

The only one I still have, was how to convert your guitar to a baritone.

I WILL do this some day (even though I have a baritone).

17. Stormbringer

Stormbringer Member

yeah, I have a few somewhere.Good mag.

18. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

That one was probably my favorite. Just for gearheads! I corresponded with (GS writer) Lisa Sharken for awhile during GS's run, super nice lady and has some great rock stories.

19. Michael Hunter

Michael Hunter Supporting Member

Yup - I've got the issue with a review of the Klon (1996 or so?). I've never had the opportunity to try one, but the fact that it's still around and is still highly lauded sounds like a testament to Bill Finnegan's product to me.

20. catalano

catalano Member

I just found the first 2 issues in a box in mint condition. Wonder if they're worth anything???