Anyone still rocking a Tech21 TM60

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by CA$H FLOW, Feb 16, 2012.

1. CA$H FLOW

CA$H FLOW Member

I'm just wondering if anyone here is still rocking a Tech21 Trademark 60 amp. If so what do you think about it ? Any issues or things you wish were different or improved ?
    Even if you're not using one if you've tried it what did you think ?

2. CA$H FLOW

CA$H FLOW Member

3. bgoez

bgoez Stratocasters are my downfall!

I have one. It's a pretty great grab and go amp. Likes pedal, is light weight. I don't much use the distorted tones of this amp. Love the clean with pedals. Hope that helps.

4. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Had one for a while for quick rehearsals and thought is was pretty darn good for SS, but I eventually got annoyed by how harmonics clashed on OD settings when playing double-stops. It sounded like the strings were out of tune even when perfectly IN tune.

5. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

I have one, and have owned it for a long time. I have it on sale now in the emporium. I have a baby on the way. We need a changing station! :)

Anyways. It is a well thought out SS amp. Great cleans. I am like bgoez, and use pedals with the clean channel. It eats up whatever you throw at it.

A very nice grab-n-go amp!

6. jota

jota Member

I have one that was my only amp for years.
    Now it barely works. The knobs do all kind of strange noises. Probably an easy fix. The transformer had to be replaced.
    I'm using the cab for my Vox Pathfinder 15R but I always loved the TM60 cleans.

7. Japhyfish

Japhyfish Member

Tech 21 is great amp. I preferred the 1st channel with the fender amp tones. My main criticism was the inability to channel switch between something like clean BF modeling to overdriven tweed. The only option was changing the settings manually. The second channel was setup for marshall, vox etc.. The 2nd channel was really not was I was looking for, but they did sound good. I ended up running a TS-808 thru the effects loop and sticking with Channel 1. Played ES-175, SRV Strat & LP thru the Tech21 and it always sounded great.

Sold it recently inorder to pick up a Princeton Reverb.

8. LJOHNS

LJOHNS Member

I have been using one this year at church every week in our 200 seat worship area. I use my Line 6 M9 in the loop (for delays and verbs) and a couple OD pedals (Paisley and Timmy) in the front and use the clean channel. I have only used the second channel once but I had to keep my OD pedal on the keep the eq right. I am very pleased with this amp and the line out works perfect in my situation. I basically just use the amp as my stage monitor. Sounds great and I highly recommend!

9. dezmoduo

dezmoduo Member

TM-60 is my main gigging amp (country quartet). I usually run channel one a little on the crunchy side, with an ME-50 box on the floor. (front end not loop). I've had times when the 2nd channel just nailed anything I wanted to do, and then sometimes I can't find the key.
    If the two channels had separate tone controls, it might help, but then it would raise the price from really reasonable, for the package it already is.
    Dependable, loud (for a single 12) when needed, and when the stars are aligned, can produce some great tones.

10. cap'n'crunch

cap'n'crunch Member

This^

Even Boss dirt pedals into the clean channel were more interesting than the TM60's dirt sounds. And that is just how I ran mine. Dirt pedals into the clean. I had to spray de-oxit into the effects loop jack about once a week and after about 6 months the volume knob became intermittent. After drilling out the chassis mounting bolts (they were all cross threaded from the factory) I managed to get the chassis out to clean the pots. Had to re-tap the chassis nuts. 6 months later it started doing intermittent again. I traded it in for a Vox modelling amp before it got too bad again and am much much happier now. I could have gotten 2 much better sounding Vox's for the price of that TM60. :bonk

11. CA$H FLOW

CA$H FLOW Member

Anyone else experience these kind of issues ?

12. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Well, I can't imagine it would be radically more oxidation prone than another amp in the same room.

I think it's a solid choice for a clean SS amp. I certainly wouldn't rule one out, probably as a backup amp or for someone with back trouble and a lightweight amp was a top priority. I'd also put the ZT Club in the same general ballpark, just a little more expensive and a lot more power.

Basically, though my experience with them is limited to having checked them out on a number of occasions in various shops, I'd get it as a clean platform, not for the OD side. Of course that is entirely subjective.

13. xntrick

xntrick Member

Great amp, great cleans and took pedals very well. It really came alive when i changed the speaker to a eminance wizard. The dirt channel isn't the greatest especially if you compare it to the sansamp gt2 but using a BBE Sonic Stomp made a huge improvement in the 2nd channel.

14. CA$H FLOW

CA$H FLOW Member

So will this amp hang with a hard rock band by itself when using it as a pedal platform using the clean channel?

15. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I have been using my TM60 with a wizard speaker for 5 years and still loving it. I find that using a Xotic EP booster in front of the amp helps the distortion channel significantly.

16. CA$H FLOW

CA$H FLOW Member

So do you use a power engine 60 with yours when you play gigs?

17. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I don't use a power engine, my TM60 is plenty loud by itself.

18. CA$H FLOW

CA$H FLOW Member

Nice! So do you use pedals other than the Xotic EP booster ?

19. Charvel_ strat_81

Charvel_ strat_81 Member

I dont need 60 watts has anyone demo'ed the TM30 that replaced the TM10?
    I loved that little TM10's tone!:omg

20. LJOHNS

LJOHNS Member

I use a Paisley Drive and a Timmy with mine. Sounds great! I may order a Wizard to put in mine. Everyone says this speaker makes the amp better.