Anyone still rocking the Bogner Ecstasy pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by annostyle, Mar 17, 2017.

1. annostyle

annostyle Member

I just love how dynamic these pedals are. I can't seem to find any others that have that touch and feel under the fingers that the Bogner Ecstasy's have. I recently picked up an Ecstasy Red for the first time after years of pushing it away and I'm pretty pleased. My style is mostly classic rock type playing so I set the Red for fairly low gain, mellow mode, neutral pre EQ and 101 structure and it sounds pretty killer for that vintage plexi sound. I ordered the Blue again after having it numerous times in the past and I'm awaiting its arrival. I always liked the Blue but found myself wanting to explore other options. Maybe this time I can dial it in to my liking. I figured with these two on my board, I'll be able to dial in just about anything. I know the Bogner Ecstasy pedals are old news around here but do any of you still have them on your board?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  2. He_Ma

He_Ma Member

I sold Red because I don't actually need those Higain tones that much. If I would suddenly to start play occasionally more higainy rock/metal stuff, it would be still my choice of pedal to achieve it. It was amazing pedal.

3. foundandlost

foundandlost Member

I'm running a Bogner Ecstasy Blue into a Vox style amp (clean/edge of breakup) and I love it. Just like you said, I love the dynamics of it and the fact it gives me a really differently voiced cleanish sound to go along with the Vox.

4. stratowine

stratowine Member

I have a blue on my board. It's my dirty boost. One of the coolest pedal I've ever had.

5. Buzzard Luck

Buzzard Luck Member

Love the Blue with the boost on, both gains dimed, as a single channel pedal. Total rock power. Still using it- great musical tools like this don't go out of style.

6. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

I'm wondering how an Ecstasy Red at lower gain compares with a La Grange. I have the LG and love it. Never played an Ecstasy pedal.

7. Chris McKinley

Chris McKinley Member

It's a solidly built pedal with fantastic tonal tweaking options. Strangely though, for as much as it is touted as such, it's not really all that high gain. Oh, it is compared to, say, an average Plexi-in-a-box pedal for sure, but looked at through a Spectralizer, the functional gain pretty much maxes out between 1-2:00 on the dial, with the rest representing increases in mostly square wave distortion and white noise. I suspect that many folks see all that remaining dial range and assume that if 1:00 is the amount of gain it is, then the pedal must be capable of quite a bit more when it's really not. Also, the mids have a resonance peak that is just a little higher in frequency than I would prefer and the highs have a pronounced peak in the presence frequencies, so when recording with it, I find myself both having to tame the mid-highs and slightly 'ice pick'-y presence with EQ to avoid white noise and yet having to boost the mid-mids to get the feedback singing in a musical way, especially on leads. If I'm trying to get a truly heavy part with the pedal, most of the time I've found that I really need to set the Red's gain at about 2:00 and boost it with an overdrive in front. To be fair, once I do, the sound is absolutely killer, especially through a tube power amp. To me, though, if you're going to market something as a "high-gain" pedal, it really shouldn't need an extra boost to do high-gain music, and I'm not talking Meshuggah, I'm talking 80s metal levels of high gain.

All that said, I did use the Red at somewhat lower gain levels into a Fender DRRI and Fender Bassman combined for a truly stellar blues tone on a record a couple of years ago that had all my blues afficionado friends asking how I got that killer tone. With a little room ambience, it sounded like a classic blackface cranked to 12. No one initially believed that was a pedal producing that sound.

blackba likes this.
  8. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

I have had a Red since they were released. I still think it does the classic rock/hard rock-type tones so well.(and it's not any noisier than an amp with the same amount of gain)

9. Krausewitz

Krausewitz Member

Still using a Blue, mostly as an 'always on' to sort of good everything together and add a little presence/cut.

Love it. Nothin I've tried comes anywhere close to doing what it does.

(Then again, I've not really tried all that many pedals....especially compared to some people here)

10. blackba

blackba Member

I really like the bogner red, but I don't use it as much as I did when I first got it. Part of that is that what I am playing now has changed in that time. My main quibble with the red is the gain range. I wish it has more range on the gain pot both higher and lower, the usable gain range is less than I would like.

I almost got a bogner blue too, but opted for a Kingsley jester instead. I use the jester more than the bogner red, both are great versatile pedals.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  11. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

I had a blue for a long time and loved it. It absolutely kills with el84 amps... I only sold it because it got really woofy with my Bella, but it's on my short list of pedals to return to if the situation comes up

12. therealjoeblow

therealjoeblow Member

Anyone ever tried the Blue and/or Red directly against the Carl Martin PlexiTone? I have a PT and am totally satisfied with it, but in all honesty, I can always convince myself I need yet another great gain pedal. So does anyone have opinions on how they compare based on first-hand experience?

Cheers
    TRJB

13. annostyle

annostyle Member

I had the big box plexitone years ago. They're all in the same family, but cousins, not brothers. I thought the plexitone sounded awesome but wished it had a full EQ so I could dial in a little more midrange. The gain is killer though. I can't say that it really does the Bogner thing. You can dial them similar but they are different enough to my ears.

14. annostyle

annostyle Member

Do you know if the midrange resonance and high end presence is also typical with the Ecstasy heads? Those are two things that I've always noticed with the pedals, but found ways to dial around it. Or use it in a musical way.

15. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

I played a blue actually into an ecstasy 101A and bogner got those pedals reaaaal close. The biggest difference was the gain structure was a little bit mushier in the pedal than the amp but man bogner did a great job with those pedals. That distinct bogner low mid growl is there in the amps and pedals. It was fantastically close. I'd still take one of those amps if they weren't so stupid loud but the pedal gets you close on a budget. Tonally they work pretty much the same way

16. p.snail

p.snail Member

I have a Blue and it sounds excellent however mine has the footswitch bug. I'm trying to track down a capacitor to fix it for good.....hopefully.

17. mkl13

mkl13 Silver Supporting Member

I have and still use the Blue. Sounds fantastic!

18. therealjoeblow

therealjoeblow Member

Thanks @annostyle - If you'd have said they were close brothers I'd have moved on, but now I'm gassing for one, just for something different, not better...

BTW, I use the PlexiTone primarily with a Hiwatt DR-103. That amp has a *lot* of available midrange, way more than any Marshall type, and Rid who designed the PT did his prototyping on a Hiwatt, so it's really a perfect match on that platform.

Cheers
    TRJB

19. Chris McKinley

Chris McKinley Member

I haven't owned an Ecstasy but I played on one for a while. From that limited recollection, I'd say the pedals are as their reputation states, pretty much an accurate representation of the amps. Kind of a Marshall-on-steroids in terms of gain on tap, but with a (then) more modern increase in highs and presence. The mids were pretty much exactly like the pedal, with the emphasis just a bit on the high side of the mids, kind of like a Tubescreamer. It was a great amp, extremely versatile for something known as a rock beast.

20. blackba

blackba Member

I think the resale is low since the bubble burst on them. When they came out, they were extremely popular, but it's seems many have moved on, meaning the stock of used pedals is pretty preventlant and buyers somewhat scarce.

As such, I think the bogner big box pedals are a great deal on the used market.