Anyone still using a Bogner Blue?

Vibroluxman

Curious if anyone is still using a Bogner Ecstasy Blue or if they've moved on to greener pastures? Likes? Dislikes? I have a chance to get one for $120 in excellent shape. I'll have a chance to check it out Monday or Tuesday but would love feedback before then.

Thanks,
Eric

johnh

It's a great pedal, no question. I only sold mine because, even with the treble turned off, it was too bright with my setup.

Vibroluxman

Good to hear! The guy at the store called it a high gain overdrive which is why I didn't try it out the other day (made me think it was for a metalhead). I play jazz, blues, country, classic rock (Clapton, ACDC, Credence, Zeppelin, etc.). The videos on youtube are kind of hit and miss. What are you guys playing with the pedal? From the discription I think it would be perfect for what I like. I've got a Fulltone OCD V2 and Fatboost V2 that this would probably kick off my board. I would love to AB it with a La Grange but I don't have one available (and it would be twice the price).

The store has two right now for $150 but I have a $30 gift card from Christmas.

Thanks,
Eric

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
If Bogner would fix the volume jump on the boost, make the gain boost more seamless AND give it more gain in non-boosted mode, I'd have one on my board, no question.

Otherwise, the large Carl Martin Plexitone is a better deal.

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
One of my top drive pedals with el84s and I really liked it with my Bella, but it didn't quite get as mean or gainy with a fendery 6L6 amp. If it had like 15-20% more gain it'd still be my only drive.

Vibroluxman

Keeping in the low gain theme, how does it compare to a klon klone? Specifically the wampler tumnus or j archer silver klone?

suparsonic

Love mine, so much adjustment. You can use it in Plexi mode as a Boost up to 20th mode for some serious drive. That's a great price. Best OD I own.

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
Keeping in the low gain theme, how does it compare to a klon klone? Specifically the wampler tumnus or j archer silver klone?
Like comparing apples to pizza. The blue does a nice low gain but make no mistake that thing can roar. It's its own animal though

Memphistokid

Good to hear! The guy at the store called it a high gain overdrive which is why I didn't try it out the other day (made me think it was for a metalhead). I play jazz, blues, country, classic rock (Clapton, ACDC, Credence, Zeppelin, etc.). The videos on youtube are kind of hit and miss. What are you guys playing with the pedal? From the discription I think it would be perfect for what I like. I've got a Fulltone OCD V2 and Fatboost V2 that this would probably kick off my board. I would love to AB it with a La Grange but I don't have one available (and it would be twice the price).

The store has two right now for $150 but I have a $30 gift card from Christmas.

Thanks,
Eric
I would go for it. I used to own one and I liked it a lot but still left a little something to be desired. Sounded good with my el84 Marshall 18 watt replica (quite comparable to a class 5); athough, knowing what I know now a La Grange is more to my liking.

But dude for $120, as long as that volume jump is worked out, that is one GREAT deal....

Dannyz

Otherwise, the large Carl Martin Plexitone is a better deal.
@Bucksears Damn, i was thinking about swapping my old trusty 3-button Plexitone for a Blue. The Plexitone seems to do only the high gain thing really well, but its a one trick pony. The boost by itself is stellar. On the other hand, the Blue lacks gain to give you a 80s hair metal tone, at least from Youtube vids. Ive tried one into a DRRI but i hadn´t my amp to mess with it.

suparsonic

@Bucksears Damn, i was thinking about swapping my old trusty 3-button Plexitone for a Blue. The Plexitone seems to do only the high gain thing really well, but its a one trick pony. The boost by itself is stellar. On the other hand, the Blue lacks gain to give you a 80s hair metal tone, at least from Youtube vids. Ive tried one into a DRRI but i hadn´t my amp to mess with it.
Put a boost before the Blue for 80s' hair tones, easy.

annostyle

I've owned the blue 3 different times. Each time thinking I'm going to get a different result. But each time I eventually know better. The blue has this weird high end trebly bite that sounds oddly artificial. It's like it's sitting underneath the great tone. There just enough to notice it. It's like an itch that just can't get scratched. And I'm like "oh you again, I thought we were done with this, but I see you're back." But $120 is great, I'd go for it.

wyldesigns

I've owned the blue 3 different times. Each time thinking I'm going to get a different result. But each time I eventually know better. The blue has this weird high end trebly bite that sounds oddly artificial. It's like it's sitting underneath the great tone. There just enough to notice it. It's like an itch that just can't get scratched. And I'm like "oh you again, I thought we were done with this, but I see you're back." But $120 is great, I'd go for it.

Trending Topics