Anyone still using TC Nova pedals ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by atson67, Apr 21, 2016.

1. atson67

atson67 Member

I know they are old and not the hottest ****.
    I got my hands on the nova delay for a great price and have to say it is a really nice pedal.
    A 2nd hand nova reverb is already on the way.

As a sidenote, I have had a timeline and some fancy expensive stuff (most of which I sold).

2. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

I've been using a Nova Delay since they came out in 2007(?).

Great pedal. Never tried any of the other Nova units, but I haven't found a delay that I like better.

Things like the Timeline or Timefactor are total overkill for my needs, but the Nova sounds great, and I have mine set to scroll between just 3 presets.

The Nova has some obvious drawbacks: no MIDI, annoying power needs, no true bypass (but I don't hate the buffer like other people seem to) and a clunky preset switching process, but it ended my search for a programmable digital delay.

3. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

I have the Nova Reverb - for the $150 I paid, it's a lot of bang for the buck.

4. tbader

tbader Member

I still think my Nova Mod is good. Nothing sounds weak or thin in my rig (or digital, cold, sterile, or whatever the common complaints are). The 2 engines are pretty nice; it does a nice Bi-Phase sound. No true bypass, and your signal goes through the buffer and converters 100% of the time, but it's pretty clear anyway. No midi and the preset switching is goofy; not a great combo, but it's still usable if you have practice switching presets. Gotta love trying to switch presets only to land on a really deep vibrato patch, accidentally tap tempo, and, subsequently, make everyone seasick. :p

I still have the Nova Delay, but it never gets used. For clean 2290 style stuff, it's hard to beat. Despite the fact that TC claims it can do tape and analog sounds, it doesn't even come close to sounding like either. It really only has a low-pass filter, and, "meh." The modulation has always been an issue with me. Not much control over it, so I kept it on 1 or off. Reverse and dual delay modes sound pretty good. This is a good pedal if you are trying to cop Edge tones.

I originally purchased it in 2009 because I wanted to have another clear digital delay available so I could use the analog mode on my DD-7 more (I also had a CC), which is still pretty good to my ears.

But it's NOT the digital delay for the space cadets out there that want to be whisked away into the ethereal realm (e.g., Strymon, Catalinbread, Boss, etc.). :D

In_the_Weeds likes this.
  5. Brian Gilmour

Brian Gilmour Member

I've had 2 Nova Delays the past 7-8 years. Old one then traded it in for the newer version with the improved buffer. I personally think the buffer is one of the best I've ever played with. Does everything I need in a delay. I keep it in dynamic mode with the tone between tape and analog about 90% of the time. The layout and function of it feels like a rack mounted effect in pedal form. Always wanted to try the Nova Modulator as I'm sure the 2 would pair up great together.

6. Kluch

Kluch Member

I had the nova drive for a while back in the day. It was a super cool pedal. I think I actually owned it twice. I would have kept it if it wasn't so noisey. I play single coils and I remember the noise floor being really high and that eventually grated on me enough to sell it.

7. Dave1

Dave1 Member

Still using my Nova Drive with my G System. For smaller gigs, I use a Nova system. They have never let me down. The drive still sounds great.

The other guitarist in my band just bought the Nova delay and he is really digging it.

8. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

I've used a Nova Delay for ages (my second, broke a switch on the first). Love the sound and the functionality.

9. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

Still have and use the Nova Modulator.

10. blackba

blackba Member

I have a nova repeater. Bypass is fine in the loop, but not so much out front. I like that is have more control over the mod than the flashback. For the $100 I paid, its been a nice pedal. I used an Akai Headrush E1 before the Nova Repeater, so I am far from needing the cutting edge digital delay.

11. atson67

atson67 Member

Compared it side to side with a TC alter ego (basically flashback) and I thought the nova was much much easier to dial in.
    I thought the delay signal sits better in the mix as well.
    Coming from the timeline, which sound nice, the UI is more straightforward. If you - like me - just need a (one) great tweakable digital
    delay with a nice modulation and presets, the nova delay is fantastic.

12. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

They're great pedals. I like them much better than the Toneprint pedals they're making now.

Frankee and onwingsoflead like this.
  13. reo73

reo73 Member

I have a Nova Delay, Nova Reverb, and Nova Mod on my board right now. Had the Nova Delay since it came out and the other two I added about 2 years ago. I like TC effects and all three are good, basic units.

The Nova Reverb does not do anything special like shimmer, but for basic room, hall, spring, and plate sounds it is really nice. I also like how you can set one preset and switch between it and manual on the fly. This allows me to set up a room sound and a longer hall sound that can be switched between in one song.

The Nova delay is also straight forward. I like having the delay time show which is why I've kept it all this time. It can get dark enough for my tape needs, and very clear for 2290 tones. It does not have the best mod if that is a big issue.

The Nova Mod is EXCELLENT. Very clear and organic sounding tones. The two engines can be used at one to create cool mod sounds. My personal favorite is the phaser with a bit of subtle tremolo for a vibe sound. Phaser and vibrato together is nice too. It has 9 presets you can set up so I came up with 9 mod sounds I like and then switch between them as needed.

14. Judas68fr

Judas68fr Member

I had the Nova Delay for a few years, it's a great unit! I wouldn't say it's better than the newer TC Flashback (having had both at the same time on the same board, I think the latter is slightly better in terms of tone).

But in terms of functionality the Nova Delay is amazing, especially for the live player!

15. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

It's amassing how different we hear things! :) I have both delays now and I feel about the pedals exactly the opposite. Flashback is smaller and more versatile with its multiple modes and downloadable TonePrints but I prefer Nova delay soundwise hands down. The most important Nova preserves the dry sound much better to my ears than analog dry through Flashback.

16. turnstylepoet

turnstylepoet Member

I just sold my iB Nova Delay which I am replacing with a Dd-500. I loved the Nova, it sounded great and was super easy to dial in.

17. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

I just sold my Nova Drive but I could see myself getting one again in the future. I'd love it if someone else made a MIDI controllable analog OD/distortion pedal with presets. It was a great pedal soundwise, but still not as good as the best boutique Rats and Tube Screamers. I know, I'm spoiled. If I could keep the NDR's digital shell and fill it with the guts of a white face Rat and a Kalamazoo, I'd marry that pedal.

gollumsluvslave likes this.
  18. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Supporting Member

I had a nova delay and one of the newer modded versions since they came out. It is the most versatile and simple to use delays out there. I would be first in line buying a new one if they dropped the ada engine and went with analog through pass. The way they are now squashes dynamics all the time (on or off).

The flashback series does this, so why not do it with the Nova?

19. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Member

I don't own then any more, but I was a big fan of the Nova Repeater (fantastic delay pedal) and the Nova Modulator, which I would only replace with a Mobius (and I did, eventually). The dual delay / modulation / compression / dirt engines on the Nova series, which you could practically configure any way you wanted (especially on the Modulator, on which you could sync the LFO of the 2 engines), set them apart and above any competition, in my opinion.

But... the public wanted "cuter" and more colorful boxes and more control over one engine, so... enter the Toneprint series.

20. rumstove

rumstove Member

I had one. I wasn't a huge fan. I didn't like how the delays wouldn't change pitch when adjusting the delay time. I like to play around with my delay pedals by adjusting delay times while they're repeating. I also didn't like the way the knobs worked. It sounded ok though. I liked the different subdivision choices, and the ping pong with two amps at different sides of the room was awesome. It was nice having presets, too. Eventually I ended up trading it on Craigslist for a Moog MF-102 Ring Modulator and I still feel I got the better end of that trade.