Anyone swap pups in a prs HB?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by bluesdoc, Jan 15, 2006.

1. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I have a set of Bluesbuckers that I love in other guitars, and have never been totally happy with the stock pups in my prs HB spruce. I'm thinking about doing it but without an accessible control cavity, I suspect it'll be challenging just working through the pup holes. Can anyone shed any light on what I'd be up against? Thanks.

jon

2. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Take the bridge pickup out and you've got a clear shot into the body cavity. It's a very simple swap on those guitars. The pickup wires attach directly to the 3-way switch, which is easy to access. You may want to unmount the pots and input jack to free up the switch to move more freely.

3. bluesdoc

Thanks S R!!

jon

4. Jim Fisher

Jim Fisher Silver Supporting Member

Jon,

I had our local luthier, Phil Jacoby, put a set of Wagner Goodwoods in my HB spruce. I watched as he did the work and it was pretty tricky (to me) but he knew all the tricks, like tying dental floss to the jack and switch before he took them out.

These pups really woke the guitar up. They're slightly hotter than the PRS ones and much more articulate. Phil commented on the amount of 'bloom' they have and loved the tone.

Jim

5. bluesdoc

Thanks, Fish. So, he actually removed the whole mess - jack, switch, pots?

jon

6. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Jon- When I do hollowbodies, like a 335, I use rubber tubing on all the pots, jack, and switch (surgical tubing works well). Pull everything out through the bridge pickup hole and then unsolder the leads. The tubing makes it very easy to guide the components back into place, much easier than string. Just make sure you have a snug fit with the tubing.

7. rooster

rooster Member

Also, stop at the walgreens or the supermarket and get some of the clear report covers in the stationary section. Cut a rectangle about 1/4 of the total size out of the corner of 2 of them, and you can use them as two "L"s to cover the body of the guitar around the pickup holes to protect the finish of your guitar. A small piece of masking tape to hold them down to the body while you work, and all should be good to go. Be very careful about the finish, and you should have no regrets later.rooster.

8. bluesdoc

Thanks a lot, guys. At least now I know what I'm up against. Do-able but a PITA....... at least compared to axes with accessible control cavities.....

jon

9. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Exactly.