Anyone swap the EL34 for a 6L6 in their Carr Mercury?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Pantone 333, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Pantone 333

Pantone 333 Member

Anyone ... impressions? Preferences?

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

In general my favorite is a low-draw Chinese KT66. I tried a NOS EL34 and a NOS 6L6 and they all sound good. The main difference is how they make the amp feel, i.e. responsiveness to touch, string attack, etc. The 6L6 gives it a loose tweed amp feel. The EL34 feels more stiff and sounds the most hi-fi. The KT66 sits somewhere in between, close to the EL34 but slightly less stiff and "grainer." Hope that helped.

3. nickelwound

nickelwound Supporting Member

hey pantone,
    I have a JJ 6L6 in mine now and prefer it to the EL34. It gives the amp a more traditional Fender sound. I also have a lower wattage Weber 12F150B speaker in the amp.
    The one thing I have been doing is leaning the amp up to get two "feet" off the ground, makes a huge impact on sound. I now run the bass around noon and the treble at about 9 o'clock. This took care of the "ratty" top-end and now sounds better than ever.

4. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

I tried everything in mine. It is a great way to learn the differences between tube types. I wound up with KT66. Ithought it split the diff between 6L6 and EL34.