Anyone switch between an HD500(X) and Fender Mustang Floor?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by jmp, Jan 26, 2015.

1. jmp

jmp Supporting Member

I've owned the Mustang Floor before and was quite pleased with it during the time I had it. I'm considering picking up another, but the HD500X is tempting me.

Feature set aside (the HD500 has a lot more features, for sure), who here has used both and which did you ultimately prefer for overall feel and tone?

At the moment, I'm more interested in the quality of the amplifier models rather than the quantity of features.

Thanks!

2. GoldDragon

GoldDragon Guest

I have the FMF and bought the HD500x before returning it for a GT100.

The HD500x sounds great direct, most of its models are touch sensitive and play in a real way, although in my opinion the preamp models have too much saturation and rounding built in to be a good front end for a real tube amp.

The FMF you can generally dial this stuff out and get a more raw/direct sound.

The 500x has much better marshall stack midgain sounds than the FMF. I feel that the mustang has better clean/low/lowmid gain tones as well as more authentic high gain preamps. The supersonic and American 90s are pretty great, imo.

Also, the HD500s interface is absolutely horrible and confounding compared to the Mustang. It has more features, yes, but it comes at a price. The GT100 interface has more features still and is also way ahead of the 500.

If you are primarily doing alot of direct recording, the hd500x is pretty great and can be used in a secondary capacity as an FX unit. I like the cleans and high gain of the FMF better, but the HD500 is worth checking out. It has a looper and ton of effects so its a good do everything solution.