Anyone switch to Graphtech saddles on a tele?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by welcometoashley, Jun 22, 2011.

1. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    Lately, I've been breaking strings more than usual on my 52RI tele. I have, however, been playing a few hours a day which is more than average for me.

A buddy of mine highly recommended Graphtech Saddles. But, I don't want any change in my tone because I'm extremely happy with how the 3-barrel brass bridge/saddles sound.

Any of you have a tele with old school 3-barrel brass saddles, switch to graphtechs and notice a significant tone change (for better or for worse)?

Interested in your input.

Thanks-

2. LReese

LReese Member

I'm not a tech, but seems like you might have a burr on your bridge. You breaking on the saddle or where the string comes out of the bridge? Maybe a little smoothing might solve the issue.

3. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I gave up dealing with Graphtech years ago. Good product, but WOW are they miserable to deal with if they send you the wrong part.

4. bongnp

bongnp Member

I have them on my strat. Haven't broken a string since...

5. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

My only experience was with the strat set years and years ago when they first came out. The change in tone was unacceptable to me. Graph Tech = Tone Suck.

6. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Member

7. Stonebandit

Stonebandit Member

WelcomeToAshley, Back in 2000, I picked up a MIM Telecaster over here in Australia.
    Now I give the Strings a good thumping at times, and ended up busting strings almost daily.
    I headed into the Guitar store where i purchased it and they had a selection of the Graphtech Saddles and we simply matched them up on the spot.

Maybe if you don't have a store that carries stock, you could send your saddles in to a place that does stock them, so they can match them up. Mine was a cruisy change over, all i had to do was stretch the springs so they didn't rattle.

Good call on the potential burrs on your current saddles if you are getting breaks, it is definitely worth while giving them a smooth over on all angles to see if that will remove any harzardous jags. Then maybe a light dust of graphite power on the saddle to coat the contact surface between string and saddle.

About Tone Loss, i don't have any background with it because i changed my saddles in the first week. So i wouldn't know what a tele would sound like sans Graph-Tech Saddles. I do still have the original Fender Issued Chrome ones in the case. I might give them a run one time when time permits, but i am pretty happy.

A point i will share is that when i took my Tele in for a fret dressing, The Luthier, a well respected builder and craftman and repair technician did ask me about if I noticed any Tone Loss. I said that regardless i was fine with the tone I had, not knowing any different.

He had a bloke come in with his Telecaster, who was having the same trouble as the two of us. Paul installed a set a Graphite saddles upon request. Then a couple of days later the bloke had to come in and said that he had picked up a large difference in tone, and wanted to go back to the original saddles. Now Paul had then given the saddles a good cleanout eliminating any possible burring, buffed them up and re-installed them. The Bloke has had any trouble since. (mind you the graphite saddles he was using were not Graph-Tech Brand and may have been inferior, thus potentially absorbing too much of the string resonance and not allowing the strings and body to work together.

Alright, that's just from what i know, Hope it helps. But yeah I'm all fine with my Graph-Tec's.

Keep us Posted with what you discover works.

Nik

8. veryloudguitar

veryloudguitar Member

I have the 3 brass saddles on my 52 re-issue, I noticed the differencejust trying the 6 "modern style" individual saddles (non-graphtech). Immediately switched it back to brass.

I have a 90s US strat that has Graphtechs on it, fixed my string breaking issue at the time, but definitely made the tone "duller" (maybe 'spongey' is a better word?). I'm going to switch out the Graphtechs very soon.

You can expect a big tone change from the brass, you may not like it...

9. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    Hey guys - thanks so much for all the input. I'll probably stick to my brass saddles as I've grown accustomed to it and really like the sound. I'll spend a little bit more on strings to keep the tone. I will, however, check out whether or not there's a burr on any of the saddles - good call....

thanks....