Anyone taking online jazz guitar lessons?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by binge, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Viz

Viz Member

I have jazz lessons with Greg Howe on skype. Got one in 3 hours' time as a matter of fact. I'm in the UK, he's in Las Vegas, so I'm normally drinking wine and he's normally just finished breakfast. I love my lessons.

TubeStack likes this.
  2. harmonicator

harmonicator Member

I purchased a couple vids from Scott Henderson, both worth ever dollar. Also DL'd some Sid Jacobs from Mike's masterclasses, and Bruce Forman's new ones from MyMasterclasses I think it's called...all really great.

I prefer recorded material I can watch repeatedly.

3. Viz

Viz Member

^ agree. Greg lets me film our lesson, so I use the ipad for skype and film it from the iphone. Not great quality but it's fine for going over things.

4. icarusi

icarusi Member

I haven't take any lessons with Morten, but his Youtube stuff is very impressive in the quantity of stuff he gets over clearly in a short time (assuming you already have some playing chops) without needing too much theory. He can play well and his stuff is pertinent for other styles than jazz. Mike Outram is worth checking, but IIRC his stuff is all via email subscription, he can play well too. Mike Walker on this forum still has his http://www.practisin2play.com/ but I think he's gigging/recording ATM.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  5. dmkz

dmkz Member

That new Sheryl Bailey course on TrueFire is a doozy. My hands hurt just watching her play some of those chords. Dropped 2 voicings on the middle 4 strings seem to be my kryptonite

Flyin' Brian likes this.
  6. binge

binge Member

Is he not updating the website at the moment?

7. binge

binge Member

Morten's lessons do look good but much too expensive for me I'm afraid.

8. DaniStrato

DaniStrato Member

Frank Vignola offers private guitar lesson focused in jazz on TrueFire like a 150$ mothly. It may be expensive but this guy is a monster player i mean...he is just great and he has a lot of excellent material to work with.. I really want to study with him but that will happen when i have more time because i'm currently studying guitar at berklee online (expensive but it's totally worth too).

9. harmonicator

harmonicator Member

I've been checking out his clips lately, that guy is seriously good. I'll have to decided which one to get.

Also, Barry Greene's video lessons are definitely worth watching. He does tutorials on standards and different jazz techniques and theory ideas. Great explanations and enthusiastic approach.

10. CollyByrne

CollyByrne Member

Hi. I'd love to hear more about your studies with Berklee online. It's something I looked into a while back but it was hard to get any student reviews. Could you give an overview of what and how you study and what you like about it?

11. DaniStrato

DaniStrato Member

Well i absolutely love everything about studying with them, it's not a lie..it's expensive but you will benefit and increase you level, knowledge, playing in tons of ways, the courses that they offer are college level..undergraduate from semester 1 until the upper ones so yeah you will learn A LOT.

i'm currently enrolled in the Master Certificate in Guitar which is 8 courses but you can enroll in whatever course you like or if you want in depth studies you have the multi-course programs= certificate. I had seen many bad reviews on the internet but well..maybe they had bad experiences (or they only see the price...) but i still recommend you the berklee online...i mean if you really want to learn and get the most of these courses materials you will have to spend the most time you can. also you have to record with your guitar and send the assignments to the teacher so they will give you a grade and personal feedback.

they offer jazz guitar 101 and jazz guitar 201 which i haven't done yet but i have a friend who did them and he says that they are excellent. i really recommend you look the syllabus and you will see what's the course material which i can tell you is a lot more of what is written there. also you can sample a course which are guitar chords 101 and guitar scales 101 for free to see if you like how is the plataform and they way that the material is shown.

here you have all the guitar related courses a programs: https://online.berklee.edu/guitar

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    binge likes this.
  12. CollyByrne

CollyByrne Member

Thank you so much for this. It does look very appealing but unfortunately is out of my budget at the moment. Best of luck with your studies.

13. Tone1st

Tone1st Member

If you want to try a guy for free before you buy anything try this guys channel on YouTube. He starts at the beginning with theory and moves quickly to get you to understand how to practice scales and see them on the fretboard. Then he explains chord progressions, and I mean REALLY explains them. He can definitely play and you can check out the vids of him demonstrating certain scales...a whole bunch of stuff. I guess if you like it he's got what he calls "a comprehensive, detailed study of scales, chords, progressions and the harmonic ideas of improvisation." He's at Serious Guitar Instruction Book (on YouTube). There's another YouTube guy too but I forgot his channel name. I'll try to get it for you.

14. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

Have a look at mattwarnockguitar.com he does Skype lessons, puts out reasonably priced but awesome ebooks with audio examples and has a wealth of free lessons on his website.

Megatron likes this.
  15. binge

binge Member

I would love to take the Berklee Jazz 101 and 201 lessons, but am worried that I might not get the time to complete some lessons.

16. DaniStrato

DaniStrato Member

people had already mentioned some excellents options and i think one has to get the most of the today technology hehe so you have private skype lessons, youtube (a lot of material but it's difficult to find the right professional instructor), you have TrueFire which i believe is probably the best option in terms of flexibilty, versatility and budget.

Berklee is another excellent option too but you really have to commit yourself to do any of their courses, if you have the budget and the time..well.. go for it, but i must say that you at least have to spend 7 hours weekly to study properly all the lesson material (the assignments too) and that depending of your previous level of experience and knowledgment. clearly it is expensive but as i said those courses are college level (in fact some courses credits are transferable and for me it's great and the correct complement as i study music in a college campus where they don't offer private guitar lessons.

Many options are avaliable to us hehe

17. gratay

gratay Member

I have purchased some John Stowell lessons from Truefire and the Ben Monder lessons from mymusicmasterclass.

Been very happy with how affordable they are for the amount of information that is taught.

18. Mike Outram

Mike Outram Member

Hello all,

Saw a mention of my website, so thought I'd let you know what it's about :)

You get weekly lessons on the site that are written directly for the subscribers. We decide on a topic, and then I write lessons, and we work through the material together, sharing progress & ideas. There's an archive of courses and lessons you can use, too. The courses are made to be a progression through a topic. There are currently 15 courses covering areas such as creating a practice routine, how to learn tunes, unlocking the melodic minor modes, playing better solos, and so on.

This page: http://www.electriccampfire.com/ shows much more about what's on the site for you.

Here's one of my lessons on how to play clear ideas, with personal examples and exercises to show how you can do it.

http://www.electriccampfire.com/good-ideas/

If I can help in any way, then feel free to email me: mike at mikeoutram.com

Cheers,
    Mike

19. dougstrummer

dougstrummer Make a Joyful Noise.

I just completed my 3rd semester at Berklee Online, and though I am making good grades, it's seriously kicking my a#s. It's definitely a commitment, but I'm learning a ton (going for my Masters Certificate). Btw, I'm a very proficient guitarist having played many years, but Berklee is "squaring me up" with a lot that I simply didn't know. But it's easily a 20 hr a week schedule, and I'm a near-retirement 53 yr. old CEO trying to carve out a lot of quality gigging when I retire, but man is it tough right now doing both! I've got Jazz 101 coming up next semester, though I just finished Blues 101 which touched on some Jazz, and I had Chord Construction the semester before with Bruce Saunders as my professor and he is a Jazz MONSTER (look him up...the Bruce Saunders Trio). Scale Theory was the first semester and it gave me more info than I will EVER be able to work through...it's all good, but it takes a lot of time as I mentioned. Feel free to PM me if you want more detail, but I'm a fan of Berklee, even though I feel pretty beat up right now having cranked out my last 4 recording assignments today to end my semester.

Doug

20. dmkz

dmkz Member

Artistworks.com is another really good site, though not free.

I'm just starting to work through Martin Taylor's fingerstyle jazz lessons.