Anyone Tried 3M Copper Shielding Tape?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RedLizard, Mar 3, 2006.

1. RedLizard

RedLizard Member

I've been eye some 3M copper shielding tape (#1181) and wondering if anyone has tried it and what your results were?

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/utilities_telecom/oem_electrical/node_5GDTBB579Qbe/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GSHBRQT7DVge/gvel_BBGZX3B1QGgl/theme_us_oemeletrical_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

It's solderable and conductive through the adhesive that should allow it to work like a charm. Comes in rolls of 1" x 54 feet, which should be enough to shield 4-5 guitars and the width lends itself to tight spaces w/o too much cutting. Found it for $19 + shipping.

I guess my biggest question is whether or not the adhesive will adhere to the wood, poly and other surfaces in the control and pickup cavities. It's made to stick to smooth surfaces, but I don't know if guitar cavities are smooth enough.

Any help appreciated.

2. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

I just taped up my never-ending Tele project, But I used some copper tape that I got off of eBay . . . it was about 5+$ and I got way more than I needed and it is super easy to cut and apply. If I could remember the eBay dealer I bought it off of I'd let you in onj the secret. But I bought it a long time ago.

As long as it works like copper is supposed to, then I would recommend getting this stuff.

3. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

The 3M is pretty easy to work with. The adhesive back is conductive which is a godsend. But the adhesive is not that strong so the copper strip end might peel off especially on rough surface overtime.

Just solder the strip end together. Clean the surface/area with lighter fluid before you stick it on.

Also be careful that the edge is sharp and hard enough that might cut your finger when really "dig in".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

I used the stuff that StewMac sells on my homebuild. Kind of a pain to work with, to me, but no need to solder. Works like charm. P90s & no noise, whatsoever- running my amp thru a step-down transformer.

Maybe I just got lucky, but it's cheap insurance & can't hurt.

5. RedLizard

RedLizard Member

Thanks, guys.

RvChevron, can I just send my guitars to you? You do great work :)

6. Tinman

Tinman Member

I think I've seen the 3M copper shielding tape available in 2" widths, as well.

7. Cb

Cb Member

I buy 12"x12" sheets of adhesive-backed copper foil at a local stained glass supply shop. I use #2 pencils with erasers to apply it (these days)...that stuff is razor sharp when you cut it! I left a lot of my DNA in the first guitar I did...that might help if it's ever stolen.

Cb :dude

[​IMG]

8. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Before attempting to shield your guitar keep in mind that, due to the capacitance the foil adds to the circuit, it could alter the sound of your guitar.

9. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

A sheet of copper hanging off the ground circuit adds capacitance to the signal line????
    Or are we talking about somethign else?

10. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Ditto the 2" stuff from Stewmac . 2" x 15 feet for $10 bucks and change .
    Also CB's 12" sheet if you can find it local . I found it online, but that's all they had that I needed , and threw down for the Stewmac instead and added it to an order (shipping) .
    Easier (to me) to use the 2" , especially inside hum cavities . Ideally the sheet for bottoms , tape around the sides though .
    Save the scrap oddball stuff in a baggie with a piece of cardboard . Last one I did , I got the " other half " of a hum cavity done when I was gonna be 1/2 cavity short with regular . :jo Saved an order and a week of looking at it with small scraps .

11. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I like it on the pick gaurd but not in the body.

12. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Yes, there will be additional shunt capacitance between the wiring and the grounded foil. If you don't hear any difference that's great....just thought I'd point out the potential for change in tone. Theoretically, shunt capacitance could affect (roll off) the higher frequencies....but that could be a good thing too. At least the shielding is reversable if you don't like what you hear afterwards.

13. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Would oxygen free copper foil help?

14. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

"If you have to ask , you can't afford it" :D

15. GDSblues

GDSblues Member

I just used some Nashua tape ( aluminum self adhesive) to shield the pickguard for my Tele and it worked great. This stuff is made by Tyco Adhesives, comes in a 2" wide roll and its realy cheap.

16. aoguitars

aoguitars Guest

the 3M works great--we used it exclusively at MTD and Spector. I actually thought the StewMac stuff didn't adhere very well, so I don't go near that stuff anymore. 3M all the way!

17. MudPies

MudPies Member

I'm going to a stained glass supply store tonight to get some copper tape sight unseen. Should I also get some liquid cement or other adhesive just in case the back of the tape isn't very sticky?

18. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

i did the whole pick-up cavity and the pick guard on my S500. it helped quiet things down.

19. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

I shielded the cavity and pickguard of my Strat with plain old aluminum foil adhered with glue stick. Works like a charm, no tone change and the guitar is quiet as a mouse at all but extremely high gain. Plain aluminum or copper foil is perfectly fine as a shielding material.