• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Anyone tried a DiMarzio Red Velvet?

Matt300ZXT

I decided to junk an old guitar I had sitting around a while. Mighty Mite neck, Strat copy body, had an OFR which now resides on my Charvel. However, the neck pickup was a DiMarzio DP174. Since I'm about to convert my Warmoth and Charvel over to DiMarzios, I figured I might get some use out of the pickup in the neck of my Charvel to replace the Jackson dual rail single coil.

I can read the info off their site but that stuff doesn't mean a lot to me, but I figured I'd see if anyone on here had used the pickup personally and could say what they matched it with humbucker wise.

helrazr84

I had a red velvet in the middle position of a higher end Ibanez RG. Paired with a PAF pro neck and Tone Zone bridge, it fit nicely with the two. Sounded amazing split with the paf pro and even on its own it didn't puss out. Great pickup. I say go for it.

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
Isn't the Red Velvet sort of DiMarzio's version of the Seymour Duncan Twangbanger? (i.e. Strat bridge pickup, slightly overwound with a baseplate?)

Matt300ZXT

Upon actually opening my eyes and looking, it won't fit the guitar I wanted to put it in. The Charvel has one of those single coil spots that is ONLY big enough for the pickup itself, not big enough for the extra tab at the bottom that the wiring runs through and comes out of. It'd fit great if it were a pickguard guitar but it's a direct mount single coil and none of DiMarzio's pickups are that size. Duncan offers plenty in the shape/form I need, just nothing from DiMarzio, and I HATE mixing/matching even if the sound would be heavenly, so no Norton in the bridge of that guitar...sorry Reb Beach, I tried :-\

Trending Topics