Anyone tried a Little 59 or similar in the bridge of a Tele?

vbf

Greetings, gents. I'm curious what a Little 59 will sound like in the bridge position of a Tele w/rosewood fretboard and hoping to hear from guys here that have tried that pickup or similar. Thanks :aok

Darl

I love my Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in the bridge. I'm a long time tele guy and like a variety of tele bridge sounds. It's the warmest tele bridge sound I've ever had - which is nice for a lot of stuff.

deadbeat son

I had a little '59 in my Tele with rosewood fretboard. I switched pots to 500k to brighten it up a little. It was a great rock & roll sounding guitar, but didn't seem to retain a lot of the distinction that makes a Tele a Tele. All panned-right guitar tracks in the album in my sig were recorded with that Tele through a Vox AC15.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
I had one for a very little while - the Dimarzio Area Hot T replaced is and that one's a keeper for me anyway.

TresGatos

If a Rock Machine is what you are looking for, the lil '59 is the tool. If you're looking for Tele twang then you are in the wrong place. It's less subtle than the full sized '59 too.

mijstrat72

Im currently using a 'lil 59 in my Amer. Stnd. Tele, rosewood board. I installed it for heavy distorted tones, my new band plays some heavy sh*t, so I needed some beef. I was hesitant because of the 250k pots making it sound murky. Not really the case though. Mine just sounds like a slightly more beefy bridge pickup. Nice clarity, decent tone, both clean and dirty. Tapable to get a fuzz closer into tele territory. I highly reccomend them now. In fact I just bought another '59 to put in my backup rig.

Id say do it.

phazersonstun

I have had a lil 59 in the bridge of my CV 50s Tele & it didn't do much for me in that guitar.

It's currently in a partscaster Tele I built paired up with a Duncan Jazz in the neck and it's a ton better there.

The CV50s Tele is very heavy (just over 10lbs) & leans on the darker side tonally.
The Area T in it now suits that guitar much better

The partscaster the lil 59 is in is a feather weight &
hardware & electronics in both are the same.

Last edited:

amoodymule

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a JB in my 72 RI, I would like to try something different, yada yada, it works well for me.
I can get most tones, a trad tele tone not so much...

Martin82

I have the Little '59 in the bridge position of one of my teles. It's paired with a SD mini humbucker. Together, they sound great. The 59 is the only tele bridge pickup I like by itself. I am contemplating buying another one.

Steve Hotra

Gold Supporting Member
I had a Lil 59 in the bridge of my Nashville B bender. Its a great pickup.
I like it for rock but I missed the tele "quack." Took it out and went back to stock.
Haven't looked back.

megawzrd

Silver Supporting Member
I have one in my tele partscaster right now, I am not really bonding with it but will give it a little more time. I usually end up going back to Dimarzio.

It is a dark sounding bridge pup though, imo.

PosterBoy

I didn't like it in my US Std Tele, it made it very honky. Much happier with the Bare Knuckle piledrivers, retaining the tele twang but fatter.

I had one for a very little while - the Dimarzio Area Hot T replaced is and that one's a keeper for me anyway.
I have had a lil 59 in the bridge of my CV 50s Tele & it didn't do much for me in that guitar.

It's currently in a partscaster Tele I built paired up with a Duncan Jazz in the neck and it's a ton better there.

The CV50s Tele is very heavy (just over 10lbs) & leans on the darker side tonally.
The Area T in it now suits that guitar much better

The partscaster the lil 59 is in is a feather weight &
hardware & electronics in both are the same.
What neck pickup and pot values are you using with the Area Hot T?

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
I had a Hwy 1 Tele with a Lil59 in the bridge. It was a nice sound, but it become more of a rock guitar and less twangy (as mentioned above). The guitar sang and was very resonant, the sustain was very nice.

custom53

I love the Lil '59 in my Tele... But now I need to get a higher output neck pickup to match it...

Down and Out in NYC

Gold Supporting Member
About 3 weeks back I ordered a set of tele pickups from the Duncan custom shop.Started with the pearly gates for tele. Requested one coil be wound to screamin demon spec and they other coil to full shred spec. MJ seemed to think the combination would work well together. Hoping they'll be delivered this week.

Rockerduck

I luv lil 59 pickups in telecaster bridges. If you play lead with dirt, this is the best I tried. I own 4 telecasters.

deadbeat son

I love the Lil '59 in my Tele... But now I need to get a higher output neck pickup to match it...
I used a Little '59 for Strat neck pickup. It worked well, but my guitar was already routed for a HB in the neck. It may or may not fit in your guitar. I also tried an Alnico II Pro full-size HB in the neck, but it didn't really balance with the Little '59 in the bridge at all.

Trending Topics