Anyone tried a lollar blonde/blonde/blackface combo in a strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by woude, Jun 19, 2008.

1. woude

woude Member

I'm on the verge of buying new pickups. Lollars seem to be the ticket for vintage flavored pickups. It will go into a maple/rosewood necked strat with an alder body, callaham bridge. Right now I'm thinking Lollar blonde for neck & middle for chime & quack but still smooth and thick but not overly 'woofy', and a Lollar blackface in the bridge. I love how the blackface bridge has that 'brang' sound! :bowCouple of questions:

-is the blackface bridge much different from the blonde bridge? I want to rock out on the bridge sometimes, but still have the vintage flavour. I'm worried that the Blonde bridge lacks the balls to do that.

-how's position 2 with this combo? (bridge/mid)

-would you prefer to go with only Lollar blondes?

-what is the best place to order if I want a custom set? Acmeguitarworks? I'm in europe btw.

2. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Is this the Dirty Blond set? I remember reading somewhere that this combo captures Ronnie Wood's Strat tones really well.

3. woude

woude Member

I believe that the dirty blonde set is the blonde/blonde/special set

4. Tube Guy

Tube Guy Silver Supporting Member

I've found that strat pickups are guitar dependent. I.e. those that are just right for one will be too bright or too middy in another.

My personal Lollar pup fest at the moment is centred around my very bright, yet woody, alder rosewood John Cruz strat.

So far I've tried every permutation of tweeds, blondes, Sweetspots (Lollar wound for Michael deTemple)

What I found for this guitar was the closest matching set are:

Neck: Sweetspot Neck (5.0)/ Tweed Middle (5.2)
    Middle: Blonde Neck (5.5)/ Blonde Middle (5.8)
    Bridge: Blonde Bridge (5.9)

So I've had Jason wind me some in between pups for the neck and middle, 5.1 and 5.65 which arrived this morning.

The tweeds in this guitar were so bright that I had to have the bass side way higher than the treble.

As I went from weak to strong in any position I found the sound went from bright and piercing, through scooped and chimey, to slightly rockier to middy and hot. My guess is that each guitar will have it's own values for each of these.

As far a 2 position goes, the more mid scooped the tone and the more evenly balanced the pups the more they'll quack. A blonde mid and blackface bridge won't have especially webbed feet.

I should add that this guitar is acoustically brighter than my ash/ maple strat and so it's unlikely that many would choose the set that I've ended up with.

For those who are interested in experimenting, I'll soon be in a position to sell off various new tweed and blonde pups (including a pair of blonde neck/ middle) that have only been installed for quick tone tasting.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  5. Tube Guy

Tube Guy Silver Supporting Member

6. woude

woude Member