Anyone tried a neck wider than 1 11/16" on an electric?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bill, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Bill

Bill Member

I am ordering a Tele neck and was thinking that maybe a bit wider of a fretboard might work a little better. Do any of you guys play an electric guitar neck that wide or have any opinions?

2. BatChainPuller

BatChainPuller Member

Yes, I have two Warmoth partscasters, and each has a 1.75" nut width and the fatback profile. I don't think I could go back to anything narrower. The first electric I had with a 1.75" nut was a Rickenbacker 650D. I still really like that guitar, and you may want to look into it (sound samples are about halfway down under "New #2 (selected tracks)": www.hernextfriend.com/music.html). It is one of the only production guitars with that width. I think U.S. Masters makes a few models with wider necks, but am not sure about that. I've wondered why more manufacturers don't make wider necks.

3. kirkham13

kirkham13 Member

Soloway guitar necks range from a fat 1 11/16 to 1 13/16. I haven't played a fatter one but everyone who plays them rarely goes back to a smaller size. The are also about an inch deep aka nocaster.

4. starjag

starjag Member

Old Gadows (likely 2006 and older) have 1.75" nut widths and a full C profile. Very nice! I think some Soloways models in the current line-up have 1.75" nut widths.

5. Fred132

Fred132 Member

Pretty sure a Rick 660 has a 1.75" nut as well. If I can ever find one used at a reasonable price I'm in.

6. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow Member

Agile AL-2000s and AL-3x00 (Les Paul copies) have a 1.75" nut width option.

7. ianb

ianb Member

I play mostly partsocastor electrics, all have a 1 3/4" nut width. I don't play anything narrower, and wanting wider necks than what Fender had to offer is what actually got me into assembling guitars in the first place.

I also play Martin acoustics, they all have the same nut width as well.

8. Rob Taft

Rob Taft Supporting Member

A number of my guitars have a 1 3/4" nut width. I prefer it for fingerpicking and chord melody work. There isn't a lot of large mfgs making production guitars with 1 3/4" necks although Larrivee, Eastman and Agile make electrics with 1 3/4" nuts so like "ianB" above, it led me into replacing my necks on my strats with aftermarket necks and assembling a few other part guitars.

9. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

10. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

11. Bill

Bill Member

Thanks for the replies. I think I will take a chance and order a 1 3/4" neck on Monday and see how I like it. I believe a little wider neck will be more comfortable for me.

12. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

My #1, a Gibson Tennessean, has a 1.75" nut width. It is super comfortable, my fingers never feel cramped, I love it.

13. Playpunk

Playpunk Member

I have a wide-neck agile al3k, and I like it quite a bit.