1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Anyone tried a neck wider than 1 11/16" on an electric?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bill, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Bill

Bill Member

I am ordering a Tele neck and was thinking that maybe a bit wider of a fretboard might work a little better. Do any of you guys play an electric guitar neck that wide or have any opinions?

2. BatChainPuller

BatChainPuller Member

Yes, I have two Warmoth partscasters, and each has a 1.75" nut width and the fatback profile. I don't think I could go back to anything narrower. The first electric I had with a 1.75" nut was a Rickenbacker 650D. I still really like that guitar, and you may want to look into it (sound samples are about halfway down under "New #2 (selected tracks)": www.hernextfriend.com/music.html). It is one of the only production guitars with that width. I think U.S. Masters makes a few models with wider necks, but am not sure about that. I've wondered why more manufacturers don't make wider necks.

3. kirkham13

kirkham13 Member

Soloway guitar necks range from a fat 1 11/16 to 1 13/16. I haven't played a fatter one but everyone who plays them rarely goes back to a smaller size. The are also about an inch deep aka nocaster.

4. starjag

starjag Member

Old Gadows (likely 2006 and older) have 1.75" nut widths and a full C profile. Very nice! I think some Soloways models in the current line-up have 1.75" nut widths.

5. Fred132

Fred132 Member

Pretty sure a Rick 660 has a 1.75" nut as well. If I can ever find one used at a reasonable price I'm in.

6. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow Member

Agile AL-2000s and AL-3x00 (Les Paul copies) have a 1.75" nut width option.

7. ianb

ianb Member

I play mostly partsocastor electrics, all have a 1 3/4" nut width. I don't play anything narrower, and wanting wider necks than what Fender had to offer is what actually got me into assembling guitars in the first place.

I also play Martin acoustics, they all have the same nut width as well.

8. Rob Taft

Rob Taft Supporting Member

A number of my guitars have a 1 3/4" nut width. I prefer it for fingerpicking and chord melody work. There isn't a lot of large mfgs making production guitars with 1 3/4" necks although Larrivee, Eastman and Agile make electrics with 1 3/4" nuts so like "ianB" above, it led me into replacing my necks on my strats with aftermarket necks and assembling a few other part guitars.

9. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

10. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

11. Bill

Bill Member

Thanks for the replies. I think I will take a chance and order a 1 3/4" neck on Monday and see how I like it. I believe a little wider neck will be more comfortable for me.

12. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

My #1, a Gibson Tennessean, has a 1.75" nut width. It is super comfortable, my fingers never feel cramped, I love it.

13. Playpunk

Playpunk Member

I have a wide-neck agile al3k, and I like it quite a bit.