anyone tried a new $999 charvel?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by chadprsman, Jul 18, 2008.

1. chadprsman

chadprsman Supporting Member

2. cube

cube Member

yes , I tried one for a couple of minutes,
    the necks feel really good and it was pretty resonant

3. Bankston

Bankston Member

A new Charvel will be my next guitar.

4. MOJO

MOJO Member

The reviews on the Charvel forum have been pretty positive so far

5. Cowboy

Cowboy Member

A style 2 H looks to be in my future... :BITCH

Best,
    Cowboy

6. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

7. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I'm not normally a pickguard kind of guy but I think I prefer the So-Cal to the San Dimas. It has more of that modded Strat kind of vibe for me.

8. XSSIVE

XSSIVE D'Avanzo Guitars Vendor

yeah i went real crazy in my review and nit picked and was flat out honest about everything i found…no sugar coating the little stuff like most people do with a new purchase to justify it to themselves and save face on a forum. i also went in depth for the screw counting charvel lovers (yes i'll be honest i'm one of them lol) there's facts and there's my opinionated silly stuff in some areas (my tuner description should be worth a laugh...if you have a drity mind that is lol) but i was just telling it how it is and how i saw it. mine did have some things that i would assume are isolated incidents with the broken ground wire and sloppy buff job but most of the little stuff like the film of dried oil over the frets seems to be common on them. which is no big deal since as i mentioned the typical USA made fender with a maple neck has a decent amount of poly residue on the frets that needs to be cleaned off and that's nowhere near as easy to get off as this dried oil film on these. on that subject of frets they're are on par with a typical USA production line strat, playable but not perfect like a custom shop model. They’re quickly leveled and dressed so there are some little flaws and inconsistencies. They’re better than several Gibsons I’ve seen lately lol. i own 6 charvels counting this new one and have played many more and i was a bit tired of people saying these stack up to the customs when they're (at the full $999 price) roughly 1/3 the price of some custom charvels. to think they are on the same level is a bit silly to be honest. they ‘re great player guitars with lots of potential. like i also said they are solid platforms for modding, you're not polishing a turd, the foundation is strong (body and neck and even pickups are good IMO since I like duncans). i put them on par with a good USA made production model strat. a solid foundation, playable as is but with some upgrades could be even better. Not a cherished collector’s item high end masterpiece, it’s a player’s guitar that can certainly be gigged with and hold up just fine.

it's even quite photogenic lol...
    [​IMG]

-Mike

9. Bankston

Bankston Member

Wow, seriously, that is a fantastic, detailed review.

I ordered mine today in the Candy Red finish.

10. chadprsman

chadprsman Supporting Member

brought one home on a whim, black san demas with sd pus. i love the neck and frets, the floyd is floating?(goes both ways, ha ha) surprised at how good it sounded clean, but mostly just wants to wail and squeal, allot of fun-even got my local store to give me a deal under the $999(i guess to cover taxes vs. internet purchase but still paid less w/tax)

11. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

I own a Korean Model A and am very pleased with it. I got it slightly used for $350. It would be similar to the San Dimas model, as it has no pickguard (maple on mahogany body). The trem is a Charvel licensed by Floyd Rose. Do the USA models have real Floyds on them? Anyway, if the $999 price tag still has you beat, look into the overseas models. They're fabulous instruments!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

I hear there's wiggle room on the prices for the black ones.

13. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member