Anyone tried a Scumback m-55 in a 1x12 ?

fabulusfab777

Gold Supporting Member
Hey guys,

I've recently got in a trade a Scumback m-55 (25 watts), and wanted to maybe try it in my 1x12 cab to use with my Dr Z Maz jr. Anyone tried one in a single 1x12. Might be a good pair with the maz. since I heard it can be a bit dark. Also it rated at 96db which may allow me to crank the maz a bit more

redeyedjim

Gold Supporting Member
I have, and it's is a very bass heavy speaker, as advertised. I got one to add bottom end to a bright, fizzy amp that had no bottom to speak of (a Marshall SL5 that I wanted to sound different), and it was great for that: it still has clear highs, but the bass response was significantly better. I've tried it since with more several neutral sounding amps and it added too much bass (for me) in those situations.

Maybe that helps?

Last edited:

bowood

Silver Supporting Member
Have the M-55 65 watt in a tweed deluxe with a beam blocker ,it's the best combination I've found , and tried a bunch, this particular 5e3 was kind of bright and harsh now she's damn good,....,in the end it's what works for your ears,....

LPVM

An open back cab will give you less bottom than a closed back cab. Maybe that would help.

fabulusfab777

Gold Supporting Member
An open back cab will give you less bottom than a closed back cab. Maybe that would help.
Thanks for the responses guys. As a reference my Dr Z 1x12 is the convertible model and I run it open back. The Maz already has very good bass but can sometimes be a bit bright so i'm hoping it could be a good pair. I can always lower the bass a bit if I like how the other frenquencies sound with the speaker. Guess I'll try it in and report back, just wanted to have some opinions before switching the speakers around (yea lazy I know...)

sg~guy

if ya don't like it I will trade ya either a SCUMBACK-M75 or H75-65W-16ohm-blueframe,...I have been needing a low wattage greenback/greenback clone 55hz speaker(s)...how are ya liking the dr z?

fabulusfab777

Gold Supporting Member
if ya don't like it I will trade ya either a SCUMBACK-M75 or H75-65W-16ohm-blueframe,...I have been needing a low wattage greenback/greenback clone 55hz speaker(s)...how are ya liking the dr z?
Well I have just put the speaker in the cab and had about 1 hour of play at good volume and I have to say I really like it. Yes, pretty bassy, but I just dial the bass back a little and it is perfect for my Tele. I guess it all depends on finding the right speaker for the right amp, but so far, I really like what it does to the Maz jr, like Big Mike said, it tames the highs just a slight bit and is very pleasing to the ear. Sorry sg~guy, won't be for trade... at least for now ;)

Regarding the Maz, it's my favorite amp.. period. Sometimes I think I want a higher gain amp just to do a A/B, and then like today I make a little change (speaker) and try my pedals through it and i'm thinking .. '' Dam, this sound just great, don't think I need any other amp''...

Trending Topics