Anyone tried a Stonetree, Crook, Glendale, Novak?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by rickboot, Mar 16, 2006.

1. rickboot

rickboot Member

I am looking for a new tele and being a longtime lurker here, I am aware of the fine work of Suhr, Chapin, Vinetto, Grosh, Koll, and Heatley. I've heard Fender makes a mean tele too :rolleyes:.

Has anyone tried a guitar from the truly small builders like Stonetree, Crook, Glendale, or Curtis Novak? Any other folks I should check out?

Rick

2. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

I will throw one out there for you to check out. take a look at www.gaugeguitars.com. they make wonderful guitars

3. aquadog

aquadog Member

i dont know about his guitars, but Curtis Novak makes absolutely some of the best pickups on the market

4. rickboot

rickboot Member

5. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

I have a pink Paisley Crook body that I built into a pretty cool guitar. It is a medium-light weight alder body.
    The finish around the neckplate smushed out and the Paisley paper is starting to peek through. Pictures of it here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v328/wildricechris/paisley/

Glendale makes some great hardware, I've used his saddles on quite a few guitars, knobs on one, and bridge on one. Haven't heard anything but praise for his work, and Dale is a great guy to deal with.

If you happen to be in South America, look up Marcio Zaganin in Sao Paulo Brazil. He does great work.

And of course, I have to promote myself here.:BluesBros I know who I'd talk to if I were in the market for a tele...
    [​IMG]

6. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Member

I was lucky enough to win a Glendale Tele (well, the parts for one) in the TDPRI giveaway at the end of last year, and I'm really, really pleased with it.

The bridge/saddles work perfectly and are very comfortable. The thin, lightweight pine body really resonates. And the neck is awesome--great fretwork, nice meaty feel. I find it to be a great sounding/great playing Tele, and it's now my #1 guitar.

And in the "small world" category, the Fender Nocaster p-ups came from Chris at Rice Custom Guitars! (hey, Chris, you still need to check this guitar out--I'll be in touch)

I have a couple of (crappy quality) pictures over on the TDPRI site:

http://www.tdpri.com/telephoto/showphoto.php?photo=1011&cat=537

Everything came from Glendale except the pickups, switch, wires, pots, control plate, pickguard screws, and string ferrules.

Given that the guitar was basically free, I think it's difficult for me to be 100% objective. But, with that caveat in mind, I would absolutely recommend checking out the Glendale stuff--I'm *very* impressed with Dale's work.

7. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Member

Oh, and Chris, please stop posting pics of that Purple Tele--you're killing me with G.A.S. pains! :)

What a beauty....

8. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

You know you want it :moon Tom!

Actually, you should see it in person. Much more purple than the pictures show. I love this guitar.

Here are all the pics I've taken of it:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y168/dabluzeguy/PurpleRice/

[​IMG]

9. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Rick -

I'm currently having Dale, at Glendale Guitars, make me a custom body and neck. I've already gotten the body and am having it nitro-finished locally, but Dale's doing the nitro on the neck. I'm also buying my bridge plate assembly from him.

Even though I don't yet have the guitar in hand, I thought you should know that he's been an excellent communicator, keeping me informed by phone and e-mail, with photos, as the work progresses. He comes across as kind, well-informed, and genuinely enthused about making a guitar that meets his customers' needs. He's open to doing custom work, even though this may not be clear from his web site. From what I've experienced so far, I recommend him highly.

- T

10. Lavely

Lavely Silver Supporting Member

Stone Tree's work is top notch. I have one for sale if you want to try it first-hand!

Lavely
    jlavely AT ghf DOT net

11. photoguy

photoguy Member

Also, check out Don Warren's work at http://www.warrenguitars.com/

I have one of his Arlen Roth Teles and can't say enough good things about it.

12. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I played a Warren Tele recently and it was extremely kick-ass!

13. blownfuse

blownfuse Member

I have a Stontree strat copy that Scott built for me last year. I had my name on a list at the local Fender dealer for an Eric Johnson strat, but decided after talking to Scott from Stonetree on the phone several times, I decided to have him build the guitar I wanted to the specs I choose. He was very easy to deal with and was open for any ideas or suggestions. I am currently waiting for a 24 3/4" scale set neck guitar with a mahogany strat shaped body from him now.

Jimmy

[​IMG]