1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone tried any of the Backstar Amps for Blues?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by billyjett, May 21, 2011.

1. billyjett

billyjett Member

I listened to some sound clips of the Blackstar Combo amps, and for the money they sound pretty darn good. Most of them demonstrated the drive channels in the higher gain modes, but I was wondering if anyone out there has found favor in them as a Blues amp. I had thought that I had made up my mind to go the Boutique route, but after hearing them and seeing their price tag's, and just have to ask.

2. sonic_777111

sonic_777111 Member

Blackstars are terrible blues amps. They can do high-gain spot on, and can go totally clean and sound great, but anywhere in between either sounds like crap or doesn't exist. I'd go for a Fender or a Fender clone for blues, personally.

3. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

I think you have no clue.

4. sonic_777111

sonic_777111 Member

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the HTs, since the TS mentioned being interested after "seeing their price tags." I've played them a lot and that's just what I've noticed. I've never played the Series Ones.

I find the HTs sound very, very thin without the gain turned past about 7 (which is way too heavy for blues).

5. tennisplayer

Sorry man, I came off harsh. I have the ht 40 and can make it do most anything.

6. lefty kwan

lefty kwan Member

7. billyjett

billyjett Member

I think I found the answer to my question. That was a great clip of Billy playin' the blues, and the amp was one of the Artisan series Amps that Blackstar offers. The Artisan amps sound great, and would definitely be the better choice for Blues, but the Artisan 30, which is the amp that I would be most interested in list's for $ 2300.00. For $ 200.00 more I can get a Redplate Blackverb, which frankly blows the Blackstar out of the water in all category's, and I don't have to call someone across the pond for customer service.In all fairness to the boy's from Britain, I think they make a great product with a lot of great features, it just wouldn't be a good fit for me.

8. natmiss

natmiss Member

Go to a store and try one. They are everywhere. Probably too high gain for blues.

9. MadFrank

MadFrank Supporting Member

Could'nt agree more! I've owned the Blackstar Artisan 15 and now have a Redplate Blackverb Standard. No contest, the Blackverb is the much superior amp, in fact, it's in a different league. Never got on with the 15 from the get-go, and I had really high hopes for it, but it was noisy, harsh and less versatile than advertised. Did not like humbuckers either! Returned it after a month of trying to get a single good tone out of it, although some people really like it so YMMV. :dunno

The Blackverb.... sing's! It's all it's cracked up to be, especially for the type of tones you seek. Plus Henry's customer service is superb.

10. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I use the HT-40, that amp will play the blues easily and just about any other type of music, very versatile amp!

11. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

Get a Samamp and be happy!

Steve

12. billyjett

billyjett Member

Funny you would mention that, because I am really looking hard at the HT-40 as a grab and go amp to use primarily for some Classic rock gigs that I have coming up.As I said in my previous posting, I think for the money, the Blackstars have some great features, and they do the Rock thing very well.I'm tired of packing around my Vibro King or my JCM 800, and most of the venues I play at have small stages, so the Blackstar would be great for that IMO.

13. james...

james... Member

I would look elsewhere. They are good. But blues? Eh...

14. tennisplayer

Blues so boring.....ugh. Get the Blackstar and rawk!

15. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I play mostly classic rock and hard rock and also jam on some blues stuff, the HT 40 can do it nicely also cleans up nicely with your guitars volume knob. I've been gigging mine for 7 months now so the amp is breaking in great and getting plenty of compliments on the tone, would highly suggest checking one out.

16. autonomous

autonomous Member

I tried the HT 40 and it was def. bigger and wider than the HT20. I cannot wait to get one. Please YOUTUBE search HTR40 ES335 and I think you will have your answer. I honestly don't know how "bluesy" you need to get, but it is very versitle, maybe this helps. Thanks, John.